Chapter 5: Finding Out

I hear the door open, "Rebecca?" I ask, as she comes through the door. I look up, taking my eyes off the screen and placing my phone behind me, so she doesn't ask any questions.

"I'm sorry about intruding, I wasn't sure if you were up or not," She says. "Do you want pancakes?" She asks with enthusiasm.

"I can never pass up that opportunity!" I grin, jumping up from the window and following Rebecca. The only thing that can possibly boost up my day is pancakes and I'll take my chances.

I sit on the kitchen bench, after Rebecca signals me to sit there. While she is cooking the pancakes, I notice her beautiful brown eyes and silky brown hair. "Do you have any kids?" I ask, out of the blue, genially concerned.

"Yes, two daughters" she replies.

"Where are they?" I ask, pulling one eyebrow up.

"They've been gone for a very long time," she states.

Awkward silence fills the air, I don't know how to respond to that. I don't want to be rude and ask her what that means. She pours a ton of mixture into the pan and lathers the liquid with butter, walking over to the fridge, she grabs the apple juice out and pours it into two glasses with an accurate amount in both.

"Are you ok?" She asks.

"Excuse me?" I ask. I'm not use to people asking if i'm ok because no one has ever been concerned about my feelings.

"Are you ok?" She asks, again, exaggerating the words.

"I'm fine!" I smile softly. The worst kind of pain is when you smile, just to keep the tears from falling, but I can tell I am not extremely convincing because Rebecca is now starring at me, waiting for a different answer.

"No, i'm not ok. Thanks for asking" I say smiling, politely.

Rebecca starts chopping up some strawberries and bananas. I don't hesitate to grab one and pop it cheekily in my mouth.

"What's wrong?" she asks, placing her hand on my thigh. I stare at our contact for a few seconds and pull my eyes away, looking in the other direction. It's hard to answer that question, when nothing is right.

"Look at me, Lily, you don't have to hide from me" she assures me by grabbing my chin gently and tilting it in her direction, placing her hand on my cheek.

"Am I right when I say I'm the only friend you've got?" She asks, smiling gently. I nod, admitting to myself that she is the only person in my life right now.

I change the subject, "I didn't get to thank you for having me last night, I'll leave as soon as you want me to." I say, politely.

"There's really no rush!" she says, "stay as long as you want".

I grin, fiddling with my thumbs. "Pancakes are ready" she says, flipping a pancake on a plate and passing it to me.

"Thank you" I say.

After a delicious breakfast, Rebecca and I head to the couch. "What's wrong?" she asks, once again. This time i'm not afraid to answer her question because we got along perfectly fine during breakfast.

"I'm fighting with my ex best friend" I inform her, shyly.

"About what?" she asks, concerned.

"She told someone something about me, that I didn't want anyone else to know. I didn't even want her to know, but she pressured me into telling her," I explain.

"She doesn't sound like a very good friend!" Rebecca says, crossing her arms over her chest.

"She says she didn't mean to tell her father, that I sneak out of a night to get away from my father," I say, raising my voice. "That's not even the worst part, my father found out about it and... and..." I explain, stuttering. Trying to catch my breath, but Rebecca steps in.

"He found out?" she asks, with a surprising amount of shock. "Honey, what did he do to you?" she asks impatiently.

I start to tear up, "He imprisoned me, he tortured me, he brutally disturbed me, he molested me" I say, quietly, sniffing. "He has broken my body inside and out, tormented my brain for years and years, he has killed me." I start to sob, uncontrollably.

She starts to tear up herself and pulls me into her arms for a comforting embrace. I hold on tightly, hoping that this special moment will never end. "I'm so blessed that you found me at the park last night," I say, out loud. She sniffles, kissing the top of my head.

"I want to tell you something" she says, as she pulls away, lowering her head. She tucks her hair behind her ears and I wipe my eyes with the end of my sleeves. I listen intently to what she has to say.

"My boyfriend use to do the same thing to me and one day I fell pregnant with twins. We got married because we thought it was the right thing to do and day after day my life grew more and more miserable. but once my daughters were born, life got a bit easier, there was a reason for me to stick around. After a few years, one day I arrived back home from work and I decided to leave him and take the girls with me. You see, I didn't realise he was in the house at the time, he held a knife to my throat threatening to kill me and my daughters after finding out what I was going to do. I refused to have my daughters live in that environment. I got up late that night with him next to me in the bed and I went to check on the girls. I walk up to there beds, both of them are there, but Cindy has been murdered, with a knife stuck through her heart and the blood pouring constantly out of her, it was spreading all across her white sheets." Rebecca breaks down in the middle of her story, wrapping her arms around my neck.

"He killed my little Cindy, my Cindy! He knew I was going to try and run again. After contemplating what I should do for hours, I decided that I couldn't live with a man who killed my own child, his own child. I kissed my other daughter goodbye and took Cindy to a nearby lake, saying farewell and faking my own death," I unravel her arms from around my body, looking at her with wide eyes and shaking my head. This can't be true, Rebecca?... this whole time?

"No!" I say, shocked.

"Yes!" she replies. I begin to bawl my eyes, I am so confused and so emotional.

"I have a mother?" I ask, with disbelief.

"that's me," she informs, slightly grinning and pulling me in for a giant hug.

I pull away quickly, both my hands on either shoulder, "Cindy?" I ask, about my apparent twin as I gaze into her eyes.

"She was your twin..." mother responds, emphasising on the word was.

•••

Author's Note: Yes this was a bit rushed, but did you like the twist?

If you liked this chapter, please consider giving it a vote.

Love graycloudss
xx