Chapter 9: Contagious Gestures

Author's Note: I apologise for not posting in a while, I've been caught up reading "the host"- by Stephenie Meyer.

Enjoy this new chapter!
............................

"Have you made any friends yet?" Jake asks concerned, tilting his head towards me, while we walk out of the room together. I slouch, twisting the spirals connected to the new stack of books I hold. I don't want to tell the truth and I cannot possibly tell it. I don't want to be considered an absolute loser, but I can't lie. I subtly shrug, staring tensely at the ground.

"If you don't have any friends by recess, you can definitely come sit with my group," swinging his arm around me with one, he pulls the other up to scratch the back of his neck with his bitten nails.

"I don't want to intrude, and plus I'll be the only girl there," I chuckle, rolling my eyes and slightly pushing his arm off of my bruised shoulder.

"Good point. I could always just ditch my friends for you." He says scratching his neck once again, but surprisingly not phased by my response to his attempting action.

"Why on earth would you do that? You don't want to hang out with me, and you don't want to lose your friends." I huff, replying quickly, trying to pretend that I don't know he has feelings for me. Some part of me doesn't want to admit it, I don't even want him to admit it because that would put me in a sticky situation.

"Yes, but I don't want to lose you either." He proclaims, glancing shyly at me. Out of the corner of my eye, I catch him still looking at me. I start to tap my books with my long fingernails nervously, I turn towards him and pull him against a line of lockers on one side of the narrow hallway.

"And your not going too. I just don't want you to arrange your life according to my schedule." I admit whispering, peeking for a glimpse of his dazzling hazel eyes. As soon as I realise he's already trying to catch a glimpse of mine, which are blue and appear slightly fragile. I shake my head in disapproval, towards my own selfish actions. I know this encounter means more to him then it does to me. It feels like I'm leading him on, but I don't intend to.

What are you doing Lily? Stop messing with this poor guy's head.

Trying to lighten up the conversation, I start to grin, signalling him to continue walking with me. "I just hoped that the Jake Smith had a bit of faith in me to find at least one new friend before recess," I say pouting, obviously joking around.

He chuckles, making me giggle at his red cheeks.
-----------

As I wait, tapping my pen impatiently against the table, miss concentrates on attempting to fix her perfectly good laptop that is 'not cooperating with her today' (as she likes to put it), but she is yet to realise that the problem is not with the device, it's with her. She could easily ask for a students advice or guidance with the 'uncontrollable thing', but no, it's not that easy. She has to be dramatic and independent all at once.

"I've got it, I've got it, I've got it," she repeats constantly, trying to make us think that she is capable of fixing things on her own. She doesn't fool anyone, I try to distract myself from the echoes of her shouts, vibrating through the room.

I sit sluggishly, slipping off my chair slowly, one leg across the other as my feet almost touch the person in front of me. I also sit in between two girls, as I recall from the roll, the one to my right is Natalie and the one to my left is Ruby. I notice them gazing at my face, but I ignore that fact, because I know how embarrassing it is for the person your staring at, to actually find out that your staring at them. I'll have to give them a mental round of applause for their subtlety though.