Chapter 7: Midnight

I watch as the light blue sky rapidly darkens, The morbid shade expands, covering the town and leaving no source of light in my room. The street lights flicker on. My boredom increases by the minute as I fiddle with the shabby zipper, stuck to my white, fluffy pillow.

Time travels by, and at exactly nine, fireworks explode in the distance. The crackling sound gave me a fright at first, but I find myself gradually getting closer to the window, watching the magnificent colours pop and fade away into thin air. Eager to investigate further, I get up, pulling my hair up into a messy bun and chucking on a jumper over my singlet due to the sudden chilly weather.

I silently sneak out, not intending to waste time, I rush down the stairs and out of the building. As I walk towards the fireworks, I realise that they are coming from a boat out in the ocean, but many people crowd around the dock. There are people sitting down on the picnic tables provided which are placed on grass right before you step onto the dock, other people just standing up, soaking in the sight and others sitting on the edge of the dock, kicking there feet through the water.

I decide to walk through the crowd of people, until I find the edge of the dock. Luckily there is just a tiny space between these two people, so I shimmy in. The reflection of the fireworks bounces off the water, supplying an amazing perspective at any angle.

"New girl?" The guy beside me asks.

"Hi...." I say pausing, because I don't know which one it is.

"You've forgotten my name already? It's been less then twenty-four hours," he says checking his watch, while chuckling.

"No, I remember your name, I just don't know if your name is Jake or Caleb," I say, trying to figure out which one is talking to me.

"Guess," he insists, so I take my time analysing his face. Trying to find a comparison, all of sudden it clicks.

"I've got it!" I announce enthusiastically. "I'm pretty sure Caleb has a mole on his chin and Jake has one on his cheek. That would make you Caleb," I say with confidence.

"Surprisingly correct," he nods, facing the fireworks. I giggle shaking my head, as I look away, he glances over at me and my breath hitches as his eyes scan up and down over my body. Once he focuses his attention on the fireworks again, I stare at his eyes and his eyes catch onto mine, but I look away once I see Tyler's deathly eyes replacing Caleb's gorgeous ones.

I hold my hand to my head, trying to erase the image. Caleb places his hand on my back gently rubbing back and forth. "Are you alright?" He asks.
I snap back to reality and pretend like nothing happened.

"Perfectly fine" I say, as I watch the fireworks intently. Out of the corner of my eye I still see him staring at me, it almost looks like he's trying to figure me out.

"I'm only going to ask you one more time and if you don't answer I'll just have to find out. What's your name?" He asks, leaning back on his hands and combing his hair with his fingers once again.

I turn to look at him, focusing on my breathing and trying to get Tyler out of my head, but no matter what I can't, he will always be stuck in there. I almost feel like it's a warning, don't be fooled, Lily, Caleb may just be the next Tyler.

"Are you one of those people that need a name to a face?" I ask, trying to take the attention off of me.

"Absolutely," he replies, "and new girl, you are killing me!" He says, trying to come across as annoyed. "Please, I hate calling you 'new girl', I feel quite rude not addressing you by your first name," he says, pouting.