Chapter 22: Three Options

Weeks pass by, and I feel awful for not seeing Caleb as often as I should of. I've obviously been avoiding him just because he's suspicious, and asks to many questions.

I can't answer them and he knows that.

I stretch, jumping out of my bed super early to pick Caleb up from the hospital.
I fly out the door after chucking some random clothes on.

The walk there was brief, and his face lights up once he notices me, I giggle at his cute expression.

He grins widely as I get closer to his held up figure.

"Why is your posture so straight?" I stop, inches away from him. He tries not to move at all.

"I have to wear this brace for a while, and it absolutely kills!" he mumbles,  now through his fake smile.

"How long?" I ask.

"around two weeks," he simply replies.

He signals me to come closer and give him a hug, but I'm still aware of his injuries, no matter how minor they are.

I stay in the same place, glancing up at his annoied face.

"I think I at least deserve a hug," he says, still holding his arms out.

"I don't want to hurt you," my head falls down to the ground, but he uncomfortable manoeuvres his hand to touch my check.

"You're not going to hurt me, and if you do, I'm still the luckiest guy in the world because I'm going to receive a hug by the most beautiful girl in the world."

I cross my arms grinning in response.

"To cheesy?" He asks, blushing slightly.

"Not cheesy enough," I snicker, trying not to make this embarrassing for him.

"You ready to go home now?" I ask on a serious note.

"Ugghh..." Caleb looks around, "I think we're forgetting something-"

"What," I step closer.

"My hug," he cheekily pulls me in, once I get a bit to close. I hug him gently back, hoping that he's alright.

He winces, and I also wince at the sudden scrapping sound.

"Should I get the doctor?" I ask, stepping away.

"No, no, no," he places both of his hands on my shoulder. "I want to get out of this place," I nod, understanding the isolation you're in once you're here.

◈◈◈

As I get up to leave Caleb's lounge, he grabs my wrist, pulling me onto his lap.

"I need to go to school," I inform him, as he looks deeply into my eyes.

"Stay," he begs. Wrapping his arms tighter around my waist, and lightly nudging his face into the nape of my neck. As he hugs me I worry once again about returning the gesture and hurting him in the process.

"I can't," I attempt to escape, but he's still surprisingly strong while injured.

"but you can," he persists.

"Don't you want to relax and be with yourself for a while?" I ask, and his nose scrunches up.

"I've had plenty of time to do both of those things," he chuckles, "and I did both of them for four excruciating weeks."

"The last thing I want is to be alone," he pouts, "plus, you hardly ever came to see me. Every time you visited, you left not long after."

"Caleb, now I'm really going to be late," I sternly inform, checking my watch and shuffling off his lap.

I grab my backpack, kissing him lightly on the forehead and smile innocently. "I'll see you after school," I add, swiftly walking out the door.

Once the door closes behind me, my smile fades in exhaustion of pretending and lying. I actually have to keep this up, and I don't know how much longer.

◈◈◈

"You have to come to the bomb fire tonight," Natalie insists, screaming about the event to come.

"I'm not sure, Caleb might not be able to go," I frown, recollecting the restrictions we may have for a while.

Natalie bites her lip, "I'm sure he'll be fine with you going without him."

"Ha, me heading out to a bomb fire with a ton of boys is really appealing to the boyfriends eyes," I scoff. "I'm sure he won't be pleased with that idea."

"At least try it out," Natalie rolls her eyes, slamming her locker as Ruby approaches.

"What's happening?"

"We were just discussing the bomb fire tonight," Natalie steps forward, "please help me convince Lily to go."

"Are you going?" I ask Ruby.

"Arrrggghh... Yes, I am," Ruby announces, sounding unsure about her answer.

"Will I be missing out?" I ask. "I'm not really the party kind of girl," I add quickly.

"We can tell," Natalie leans up against the lockers, crossing her arms over her chest.

Natalie's mood swings have been out of control lately, and her usual suit is abruptly angry. But I understand that she's going through a hard time, so I'm going to step back and let her do her own thing for now. All I can do is try and be the best of all friends, make her feel comfortable, safe and be supportive.

◈◈◈

Miss scribbles down, what seems like gibberish on the white board, ordering us all to copy it down. As we start to write, someone casually walks through the door. Irene.

She holds her designer bag purse by her wrist, apologising to miss for being late because of the 'horrendous' traffic.

She has about three options of chairs to choose from, but instead of choosing the ones relatively far away from the three of us, she decides to take a seat next to Ruby.

Irene doesn't waste her time, she's persistent and wants answers.

"Is my baby alright?" Irene asks Ruby.

"How would I know? I didn't even know you were pregnant," Ruby responds, making me laugh unexpectedly, and I receive a terrible death stare by the 'queen' herself, Irene.

Irene clears her throat, "is Caleb alright?" She readjusts her question.

"He's fine! don't get your nickers in a twist," Ruby mumbles, rolling her eyes in the process.

•••
Author's Note:
Sorry for taking a while to post this chapter, these past couple of weeks have been horrendous...

I appreciate your support, especially with a vote and a comment.

Love graycloudss
xx