Chapter 20: Empty Handed

I walk briskly to school, automatically thinking about Caleb and how terrible it must be waiting to heal. Step by step I grow more concerned for him, Wondering if he's alright. He'll be fine, after all the doctor did tell me that it was a minor fracture, which heals miraculously if taken care of properly.

As I walk through the doors to school, I spot Natalie and Ruby straight away, collecting their books out of their lockers for their first few periods.

"Hey," I say, approaching them.

"Hi," they respond together. I duck my head into my locker as I swing it open, struggling to pull the right book out and trying not to knock all the books down. As I pull my book out, all of the books collapse, plummeting to the ground. I crouch down, noticing the abundance of eyes planted on me.

Ruby and Natalie close their lockers quickly, intending to help me straight away, but I see Jake helping me instead. The girls lean over, astonished by how quick Jake came to assist me.

"I've got it," Jake announced, looking up at Ruby and Natalie.

Ruby and Natalie looked at each other with confusion.

"Are you sure?" Natalie asks Jake. there wasn't any need for them to help anyway, Jake had already picked up most of my books.

"It's all sorted," Jake answers, standing up and giving the girls a charming grin.

"What books do you need?" Jake turns to me.

"Maths and History," I answer, watching him place all my other books neatly in my locker. Out of the corner of my eye, I see Natalie and Ruby snickering. I give them a disapproving look over my shoulder, swiping my attention back to Jake, in which he has already locked my locker and still holding my two books.

I hold out my hands, waiting for him to pass me them, but he grabs one of my hands instead and pulls me to class. Leaving me empty handed.

"I can handle carrying my own books Jake."

"I just want you to know that you don't need to carry them, i'm happy to help," He winks my way.

I pull my hand away from his, making him glance over at me with annoyance.

"Can I not hold your hand?" he asks.

"No you can't, I'm with your brother Jake. Caleb is my boyfriend and i'm sorry, but we love each other. You can't get in between us, because I don't want to break you guys up at all because you both have a thing for me."

I storm off, rushing to my first class, feeling terrible for stating the harsh reality. Jake acted like he had no idea what I was going on about before I left him, as if he was and still is absolutely oblivious.

He is so stubborn and selfish to actually try something on me. This has to stop, I need Jake to get over me.

I run my hands through my hair, brushing the strands away from my face, while taking a seat in between Natalie and Ruby.

"Are you alright?" Natalie asks.

"What did Jake want?" Ruby asks full of curiosity. I lean back in my chair, rolling my eyes at the thought of Jake trying to touch me again, some how trying to convince me that he's the one.