Chapter 1

I could hear my heart pounding- bum, bum, bum, bum, bum- loudly in my ears.

My golden skin now looked like a painting of purple, black and blue and my brown curly hair was a bird's nest. I lay on the cold hard floor in this dark room crying until my eyes were red and puffy.

How could I be so dumb?!

I thought he loved me. When we were together, he took me shopping, bought me gifts and showered me with love, at least that's what I thought it was.

'You're a pretty little thing,' I remembered him saying. 'I would love to have you for my own, as my trophy'.

How could I have fallen for him?

He was just another pretty face, a possessive one and let's not forget strict and abusive. He had me eating off the palm of his hand, wrapped around his little finger just how he wanted me. I was weak, vulnerable and naïve. So desperate to escape my past, to move ahead, to feel loved and cared for that, I fell right into his arms... The arms of this temperamental man.

Maybe I was made to never know how it feels to have a normal and stable family, be carefree and safe.

I thought maybe, just maybe he was the one I was meant to find. The one who would show me how much he cared, and to love me, but right here, right now it doesn't feel that way.

I remembered it like it was yesterday. The day we met. He, a young, strikingly handsome, and relatively wealthy man. The type of man women swooned over. The type of man a woman would do anything- and I mean anything for.

...and I?

Well, I was a young and beautiful woman with a bright future ahead of her in the field of Architectural Arts. A woman who had been through hell and was looking for security in heaven. I was the type of woman to go by undetected, if I didn't make myself visible you wouldn't know I was there.

That was how I liked it, fame and popularity were only there to prove to someone that they were important and seen. Laying low was there for the ones that knew they were important and didn't need anyone to prove it to them.

It's understandable that, that one night I rose to fame- that one night I ran away from the security of laying low was the day the past and future started to haunt me.

One year earlier

"Drink! Drink! Drink!" I heard the people at the bar shout as I drained a bottle of vodka.

"Yeah!" I screamed as I pounded the bottle on the table earning cheers from the wasted partiers around me.

They scream my name and I pump my fists in victory. I was wasted right now. This was my first night out since I came to this school and I was enjoying the visibility to the highest.

"Pay up," I said to the man sitting beside me on the leather barstool. He was the one who had bet me to chug that bottle of vodka and it was time he paid the piper.

He slapped 50 bucks in my palm and smiled at me.

There was something about him, something alluring. Was it the fact that his teeth were pearly white? Seeing I was used to seeing slightly yellow ones.

Was it his smile that could melt a thousand icebergs or was it his eyes that were a deliciously light chocolate brown? They held a look of pain and hardships but in them, there was a glint of hope. Something I was starting to lose day by day.

"Nice...doing business with you," I said my eyes lingering on his figure, my throat was burning from the vodka and my head was a bit light. I needed to scram before I said anything stupid.