Chapter 2

I sat in the dark cell looking to the only light visible, it was glowing through a crack in a wall dimly illuminating the grubby room.

I felt weak, it had been give or take two days since I have been here. I hadn't eaten or showered since then. I was still in the black dress from that block party we went to and it was brown with muck and wet from urination.

I screamed each time I thought about my position; how did I find myself here?

Just as I was about to curl into a ball and sob, I heard footsteps coming down the stairs and towards the door. The lock clicked and the door screeched as it opened. I looked up to see my lovely wedded husband, note my sarcasm.

"Are you ready to behave yourself and come up?" he asked sternly but the flicker in his eyes read- wait...was that guilt?

Now he feels guilty, I mentally laugh. Where was this guilt that night?

My body tensed as I heard his voice. I feared this man. No, I hated him, loathed him. He did this to me and he was the reason I was here.

I used what was left of my voice to croak a reply. "Yes."

He came over to me and freed me from the rusty chains that bounded my wrists. As the chains fell off each wrist, I could see bruises around them. He took the dress off me, placed me into one of my bathrobes, and then carried me up the stairs at the left side of the basement.

He carried me into the living room and upstairs into our bedroom. I hid my face in his chest as the light hurt my eyes but flinched as his hands tightened on me.

Our bedroom was the second biggest room in the house; it had a king-size bed covered in red and white sheets, a mahogany dresser, nightstand, chest of drawers, and wardrobe. To the right of the room was the balcony and the bed was in the centre of the room. The bathroom is to the left of the room and is marked with a brown door.

Brad took me to the bathroom took off my robe, drew me a bath and placed me in.

"This will help with the bruises and the scars," he said his voice lowering at the words bruises and scars.

I remained silent not wanting to speak to him.

After the bath, he dressed me in a short black silk nightgown that thankfully didn't irritate my bruised skin and laid me down on the bed.

"I hate to hurt you Shania but what happened caused me to get angry and I couldn't stop myself. You know how losing my mom affected me; I just couldn't stand the thought of losing you nor you cheating on me. I shouldn't have done that- I'm sorry," he said as he cupped my cheek.

I said nothing.

With a sigh, he turned and left the room saying he will be back with food.

I managed to get off the bed, even though I was in severe pain. I walked over to the mirror and my heart jumped at the sight that greets me. My eyes were swollen, my lip was cut, my skin was bruised and as I turned to look at my back I saw a large swelling running from my shoulder to my waist.

I whimpered falling to the ground as I tried to push away the events of that night out of my head but they came flooding in. I was unable to stop those images from plaguing me, reminding me of the horrors that I suffered that night.

I remembered getting ready for the Drews' block party. I was in a black, backless dress that hugged my body and I wore my hair in a messy bun. For jewellery I had on my gold necklace with my name on it that Brad got me with matching gold earrings and I wore black wedges. Brad, however, wore a black muscle shirt with black leather pants and a gold wristwatch.