Chapter 9

He got out of the car and shut the door before saying. "I'll be back."

I nodded and he went inside after kissing my forehead.

I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding in as his figure disappeared through the door and tears of frustration trailed down my cheek.

How can this be happening to me?

What did I do to deserve this?

First Giovanni and now him. Can't I live a normal life for once?

I wiped the tears away with my hands, gripping the wheel and ground my teeth grunting.

This is so unfair. I didn't want to be mixed up in this shit. I'm a good person so why me? I thought as I fisted the steering.

Just then, the parlour door opened and a man walked over to the car. I straightened up and looked at him as he approached.

"Come now," he said with a smile before turning away and walking back inside the shop. Daniel must have sent him.

I swallowed the lump at the back of my throat and sniffled.

Come on now Shania woman-up you are in this shit now 'for better or worse' so deal with it.

I wiped away the remaining tears as I got out of the car. I walked towards the door and pushed it.

Ding-dong, the bells on the door sang as it opened.

I walked in the room and there in front of me stood the man with a gun in his hand, pointing at me.

Shit!

My heartbeat quickened and the adrenaline in my body spiked as I analysed my situation.

Maybe he was working with Daniel's dad... Maybe he subdued Daniel and now he's going to kill me!

I've been through way too much to get killed now!

I ran over to the unknown man dodging the bullet he fired before grabbing his arm and hitting it with my arm causing him to release the gun.

I then used my other hand that was holding his wrist to elbow him in his gut. With my free hand, I swung behind me twisting my body, hitting him on the back of his head.

He fell to the ground but not before using his foot to sweep my feet from under me. I went down because of this and instantly he jumped on top of me.

I struggled to get him off me before I decided to use his weight against him. I flipped us so I was now on top and punched him square in the face as hard as I could.

I smiled a little as he grunted loving the feel of anger stirring inside of me.

"That's it, Shan," I heard my father's voice in my ear. "Channel all that rage! Use it against them!"

The image of me hitting the wooden dummy in my family's old garage flickered in my mind. My fists busted up and my anger pulsing through my being. That memory egged me on and I find myself transferring my anger onto my victim.

Brad lied to me. PUNCH

He hid his past from me. PUNCH

Yet, he could look me in my eyes and say he loved me? PUNCH

All these thoughts spun wildly around in my head. Did I really know Brad? What if he was just using me?

A trophy, he had said. What if I am just a trophy to show that he accomplished his goal of leaving his past behind and faking his future?