Chapter 23

"Miss Robin your daughter is brilliant she surpasses those in her grade and has a GPA of 3.7. These are the reasons why I believe she is ready for Junior High," said the lady in front of me.

She was a black pants suit with a red tie, red glasses and her hair in a neat bun.

"Um... I don't know what to say... this is great. Um... Do you think she is ready? She's a bit young isn't she?" I asked as I played with the sapphire around my neck, which is identical to the colour of my dress.

The principal's office was honeycomb yellow. To my left was a filing cabinet with a small light on top of it, to my right were portraits of past and present principals and a shelf of awards e.g. School Eco-challenge winner.

In the centre was a cedar desk with three brown leather chairs, the principal and I occupying two. Above us was a mirror, it was a weird thing to see in here but I guess she loved to look at herself.

A few times I saw her looking up to check her make-up. I don't blame her she was a young redhead with blue eyes, men must drool over her.

"I do actually. Our counsellors here at Eden Elementary and Junior High agree one hundred percent. Don't you?" she asked as she tucked a strand of hair loose hair back in place.

"Sure, why not? When will she switch?" I asked as I ran my hand through my gold curls.

"Next week, she will be put into the classes and her books will be placed in her new locker," she said.

"Okay, thank you. I guess I will discuss it with her later," I held out my hand for her to shake as I rose out of the chair but accidentally hit over her pencil holder.

"Sorry!" I said after noticing what I did.

"It's quite fine," she curtly said as she picks up the pens.

Between the clusters of pens, I could see a small, black, rectangular object. She chucked it in the holder quickly and looked up at me.

"Okay, thanks for coming Miss Robin," she outstretched her arm.

"Ms Blaze," I shook it and eyed her quizzically before making my way out of her office.

As I walked through the door I saw Shaneil in a chair to near the office door playing with her guinea pig, Dandy.

She named it that because she thought it looked dandy with the black mark on its white furry chest that looked like a bow and the messy looking fur on its head. She claimed it was 'bad boy hair'.

"Hey baby, let's go," I said as I walked over to her and held out my hand.

"Okay, what's the matter mommy?" she asked as she took my hand with her left hand while using the right to put the strap of Dandy's mobile cage around her neck so it was in front of her.

"I'll explain when we get home," I said as we walked down the empty hallway.

***

"Oh my god! Mommy really?!" Shaneil screamed as she placed Dandy and his cage on the hall table.

She ran into the kitchen and over to me, wrapping her arms around my stomach and squeezed me tightly.

"Yes..."

"Oh yeah! Yeah!"

She let me go and started dancing Margarita, her happy dance. I laughed at her and she pouted. "When do I start?"

"Next week... I know you are excited but what about your friends, Shan?" The glimmer in her chocolate eyes faded.

"Umm... we will see each other around," she said looking down.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Y-yes," she stuttered. She always stuttered when she lied.

"You know you can tell me anything right?" I put a hand on her shoulder.

For ten she was really tall. I am a 5'9" and she reached me at my shoulder.

She exhaled. "Okay, I don't have any friends, I just sit with Dandy at lunch and break... they don't like me."

I looked into her eyes and smiled. "They will baby, soon... And your new classmates will like you as well. Okay, baby?"

"Okay mommy," She smiled.

"Okay! Now help me make this cake," I said as I whisked the bowl of eggs.

She grabbed a stool, pulled it up to the island so she was opposite of me and looked at me ready to work.

"Okay, whisk the eggs," I gave her the bowl and then walked around to her. "You whisk like this."

I showed her the motion and soon she caught on. I moved to the cupboard for the oil and measuring cup.

"Mom, why can't we use the hand mixer?" she whined. "My hand is tired."

"Because I like the old fashion way," I smiled. "Now come here."

A few hours later we were finished and the cake and dinner were ready. We sat at the table eating and laughing. Shaneil was a good comedian and she loved riddles and stories from my home country, Jamaica, so I told her as many as I could to feed her curiosity.

"Okay, what can you put into a fridge hot and take it out hot?" I asked.

"Soup?"

"Huh?" I asked a little confused.

"Hm... if I put in a bowl of hot soup in the refrigerator, close it and then open it, it will still be hot," she replied.

"Okay you have a point but no, if we were to look at it over a longer period the answer would be pepper. It never gets cold."

"Oh, okay. That makes so much sense. One more, please?"

"Okay. Riddle me this, riddle me that. Guess me that riddle or perhaps not. The poor have it, the rich want it and if you eat it you will surely die."

"Hm," Shaneil took about five minutes before she answered. "The poor have nothing, the rich want nothing and if you eat nothing you will surely die."

"Yes," I answered with a smile.

"Another-" she was interrupted by the doorbell ringing.

"I'll get it," she said as she went to answer the door. It was 8 in the night who would be here at this time?

Shaniel took too long to return and I started to get anxious. I rose from my seat bad scenarios going around in my head.

"Mommy!" I heard her call, and instantly my heart rate picked up.

I grabbed a knife from the table, walking through the hall towards the door looking for Shaneil.

Her back came into view and I notice she's not tense or in trouble so I relax a bit.

"Yes, baby?"

As I looked behind her my emerald eyes connected with a pair of familiar chocolate ones that looked at Shaneil quizzically.

My heart thudded frantically and it got harder to breathe. The knife fell from my grip onto the carpet and I stood paralyzed by the sight in front of me.

Not him!

Not here!

Not now!

"Daniel," I said my voice breaking.