Chapter 24

"Daniel," I said my voice breaking.

"Shania," he said his eyes glued on me and my breathing was unsteady as I look him in.

Daniel was in a grey muscle shirt, khaki shorts and grey all-stars. His eyes were darker and glossy and his hair was black with red highlights which complemented his tan complexion.

He looked ha... horrible!

This disgrace of a man who abandoned me and my child turned up at my door ten years later looking like his life wasn't affected at all by our absence.

Here he was fitter than before, looking mentally and emotionally stable while I was here battling demons left and right.

"What do you want?" I said bluntly. I needed him gone, he wasn't welcomed here.

"I want to talk," he said scratching his head.

"What about?" I asked as I stepped closer to the door.

"About us," he replied looking at Shaneil.

I wanted to slam the door in his face right now. How dare he come here and look at my daughter as if she was some kind of alien.

His eyes refocused on me and I glared at him.

"Baby go finish eating, I'll be back," I said to Shaneil.

She looked at me quizzically then nodded her head and left. "Okay mommy. Goodbye mister."

I walked outside of the apartment closing the door behind me. I descended the stairs into an empty hallway and Daniel followed silently.

I stood there with my arms crossed while Daniel stood in front me as stiff as a piece of board.

Finally, his mouth moved and he spoke. "Shania, I... I'm so sorry, I couldn't find y-"

I held up my hand cutting him off. I didn't want to hear his pathetic excuse. I took a deep breath as I organised my thoughts.

"Daniel, just stop. I don't want to hear your excuses... I've moved on, I don't want or need you in my life. I am done depending on people to care for me... It has always been me, myself and I, the only ones I can depend on. I've been doing great without your help so far and so has my baby. So, I don't need you in my life anymore," I said slowly, my voice leveled.

I was proud of myself ... I hadn't sounded as hurt as I felt.

He stood there looking at me his eyes blank and face void of emotions. It was as if his mind was floating around in space and his emotions were turned off. Daniel remained unresponsive, my words sinking in and I was getting tired and bored of watching him do nothing.

I rose from the stair I was seated on and began to walk away when he grabbed my arm. I looked at him annoyed while he looked at me with sorrowful eyes. Daniel then pulled me into his arms, holding me firmly into place while I fought to break free.

"Shania, I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to run out on you when you told me about the baby. I should have tried harder to find you. Hearing you say you don't need me it's making me feel useless."

That's because you are!

"I know I'm not a good husband neither am I a good father but please forgive me, give me another chance. I can't live knowing that you hate me. I love you-" I stepped on his foot and he winced releasing me and I pulled away.

He grabbed me by my waist pulling me in and kissed me.

Yes, you heard me. Kissed me.

... and I hate to admit it but this kiss was the most passionate kiss I have had in years. The electricity pulsing through my veins, the europhia my body succumbed to and the tingles that danced across my skin.