Chapter 6

I went under the tub and was surprised to find myself in the vent. This was not the normal iron vents but wooden ones. They were located between the floors of the rooms upstairs and the ceiling of the rooms downstairs.

They were also within the walls in every part of the room. When we bought the house, the real estate agent said that it was to give the house proper ventilation and I believed him but I now see that it was all a lie.

It was an escape route.

Pushing the thought out of my mind, I crawled west trying to find a way out, first from the vent and then the house. The bathroom was at the eastern end of the house so trying to go east would be a dead end. I came to a crossway at the end of the vent; there was one going up to the roof and one going down underground.

So, it's now decision time. Should I go up or down?

If I go up I will end up on the roof and may be seen by one of Knight's friends.

I've been through this enough times to know you never come alone, there's always backup. Unless of course, you're John Wick, that man is phenomenal.

Okay, head in the game. If I go down I may getaway in the sewers.

Well then... The sewers it is. It's better than being killed or kidnapped.

I managed to put my head through the vent at the top, I then pulled my body upwards so that my right foot was on the edge of the vent and the other on the wall of the vent.

I did gymnastics for 4 years when I was a kid so this was a trip down memory lane for my body. Moreover, being with Brad it was necessary to be flexible at times.

All right, so I'm heading down but... the noise was my next problem.

I knew that if I allowed myself to fall it will make a sound and someone would notice me so I decided to stay still and listen for a sign to make my move.

Aka falling.

I heard the voice of the doctor talking to someone it was muffled but I made out a 'yes sir' and 'it will be done'. Then after he and Dedres –I mean Bromez talked and I heard a thud.

As if on instinct, I let go and I tumbled down the vent into a dark, congested place.

I picked myself off the dusty ground and stood up. I listened. I was anxious to know if someone had heard my harsh introduction to the floor. My heart drummed in my ear but I soon calmed down.

I heard no footsteps approach the area that I was at. That was close.

The area was not like the vent that was lightly illuminated, it was pitch black, and I was feeling uneasy in here. I suddenly remembered the phone Bromez gave me.

Who knew they still made these little Nokias. These are some ancient shit.

I took out the phone and turned on the light at the top of it. As I looked around, I saw dust particles dancing in the light and cobwebs all around.

With the light as my guide, I walked forward to see a tunnel in front of me. By the looks of it, it was here before we moved here. I walked further into the tunnel and as I looked around cobwebs, spiders and dust were what I saw, other than wooden frames that outlined the tunnel.

I walked for what seemed like hours but as I glanced at the phone, I saw that it was only 15 minutes. I was about to give up hope when I saw a ladder that led up to a small door overhead.

I ran and grabbed the ladder then pulled myself up to the door and open it. With a thud, it opened and my heart felt relieved. I was in the driveway— actually, the door was built in it.