Chapter 18

Chapter 18

I stood in front of the mirror, staring at the girl in the reflection. She was smiling, but the tears that streamed down her ashen face deceived her happy disguise. Jake came from behind me, his smile was genuine and for the first time I saw adoration flicked in his eyes.

"You look beautiful, my fiancé." Jake whispered into my ear before he wrapped his arms around my waist. He was completely oblivious to my body cringing as the words left his lips.

I wore a shimmering white dress that shone like the moonlight, it matched the ring. At the mere thought of the ring, my eyes drifted to the glittering rock on my finger. Jake spun me around so that I was facing him and he stared down at me, his eyes gleaming with happiness.

Jake gripped my shoulders, his smile faltered as he looked at my face. I ducked my head down to try to conceal the tears that were rolling down my cheeks and dripping onto the sleek material of the dress.

"What's wrong Kayla?" Jake asked gently, lifting my chin so that our faces were inches apart. He slowly wiped the tears away with his thumb, and I flinched at his touch.

"I don't know if I can do this." I whimpered, not daring to break eye contact with Jake. "If you don't go through with this, you are not only risking your pack, but also Haden's life." He stated, his eyes darkening with anger. I shut my eyes, refusing to break down in front of Jake.

"Y-Y-Yes. I'm going to get going." I chocked out, my voice came out barely audible. Without waiting for his answer, I stumbled out the front door.

The wispy summer wind blew against my hair, casing my teeth to chatter. I stared at the muddy ground as I made my way forward, swallowing my pained sobs.

I clutched my dress tightly, my knuckles burning a bone white. I could feel tears on the verge of slipping out, but I pushed them away. This was for Haden, now was my chance to protect him.

"Kayla." The words came out softly and my head snapped up at the sound of Haden's voice. The water from the lake crashed against the shore, my eyes locked on the dock of the lake.

A white blanket was spread over the wooden dock like butter on toast. Candles littered the wooden boards of the dock, a smile involuntarily played at my lips. Haden sat on the blanket, grinning as he searched my face for any sign of happiness.

He was dressed in dark jeans, and a grey hoodie. He stood up, the sleeve of his jacket riding up, exposing the toned muscles on his forearm. Even in the candle lit night, he still looked handsome with his sandy blonde hair was sexily ruffled as usual and his eyes were shining as he looked down at me.

I could feel his intoxicating scent lingering in the air, making my knees go weak. He reached for my hand, I watched his smile falter as he brought my fingers closer into his line of vision. "Kayla, why do you have a ring on your finger?" He asked hesitantly as if he didn't want to know the answer.

-•-

A/N Yes I finally got this chapter done. Sorry if it's not the best chapter *shrugs* it's just that I've been having writer's block with being an editor!

*crowd gasps*

Yes I know it's crazy since when am I the editor with my horrible spelling c: well you should actually read my friend's story because it's amazing and I love it a lot! It's on @jewelmintt

ALSO THANK YOU TO @jewelmintt for editing this chapter :3