chapter 23

Chapter 23

The buzzing of my phone caught me off guard and I could feel my bottom lip trembling as I kneeled down and dug through the piles of dresses in search for my phone. As I reached the bottom of the seaming endless pit, the screen glowed as an unknown number flashed on my screen, something inside me was screaming for me to answer, but I couldn't move. It was if the world around me was frozen and I didn't know what to do. On impulse I pressed the answer button and pressed the phone to my ear, I could feel my heart drop to my stomach and it seemed as though the shop grew quiet as I kneeled in the small restraints of the dressing room. "Kayla? Kayla is that you? Please..... Please just answer me if you're there." it was if the voice was beseeching me to say something, anything. But I couldn't bring myself to. Swarms of words were caught in my throat, but I couldn't manage to voice them out. I would recognize that voice anywhere. Haden.

"Are you okay in there sweetheart?" the syrupy voice of the sales clerk chirped as she softly knocked on the door. My head was spinning as I lifted my shaking fingers and clicked my phone off. Turning toward the door I managed to croak out, "Yeah I am fine." It was time to veil my true feelings and head out. If I couldn't manage just listening to his voice would I be able to lie to everyone in the pack? My breaths grew more shallow with each thought, and the more I tried to push away the image of Haden, and his pleading voice that was begging me to go to him, I felt my back sliding against the wooden door and it seemed as if everything I had ever known was crumbling. I brushed my hair out of my face as I walked out of the dressing room, trying my best to keep my head held high. If I was going to fake being happy then might as well try my best.

"Hey Kayla I have been looking for you." Jake beemed, his smile faltering as soon as his eyes met my face. He has known me too long, he can see past my smiling facade. "Find a dress you like?" Jake questioned, not taking his eyes of my face. He cleared his throat, trying to fill the awkwardness that was lingering between us. I payed no attention to his remark as I drifted ambley throught the store, trying to stretch the time before I had to consult with the pack. I was not ready for this, and I never would be.

"Kayla I picked out a dress for you, c'mon we have to go." Jake said, gesturing for me to follow. He was already clutching one bag, and I silently trailed behind him, unable to meet his eyes. He went to the passenger side and opened the door, but I shook my head stubornly. I would not let him help me in anyway, childish as it may seem I was not in the mood for anything where Jake was concerned. Fortunately, he got the hint and stepped back with his hands above his head as if he was surrendering to me. I forced a smile onto my face and happily slammed the door. Just before I reopened it and crawled into the seat. "Ready?" Jake asked as he took a seat next to me, he gripped the steering wheel and stared at me expactantly. For some reason I felt that his words held more that meets the eye, was I ready to lie to the pack? Without another word Jake started the car, my silence spoke more than words ever could.

A/N: I know you guys are all sad because Haden isn't in these chapters ;( But its okay because we all know what's gonna happen next chapter! Consulting the pack dun dun dun, I am so happy that I finally have time to write these chapters again. I know some of you guys also hate the length, but I can't help it I just write short chapters for some reason. Okay well thanks so much for reading and I PROMISE THIS IS NOT THE LAST OF HADEN :D