Chapter 32: An Unexpected Turn

-Parker's POV-

Despite my best efforts to be optimistic, Kayla was restless. Since she found out that Cedric and Christian were taken, she had taken no time for herself. At the moment she was pacing the back and forth in the living room. Her parents had retreated to one of our guest rooms, tired from the endless searching that has been going on all day. Even our pack members were getting exhausted. I could see it on Kyle's face as he was assigned to be in the room with Kayla at all times, never allowing her to be vulnerable alone. He started to doze off while standing. I commanded him to retreat to his room, which he did willingly. Now I was the only other one in the room with Kayla, not keeping my eyes off of her.

"How long has he been gone?" She asked, for the hundredth time. I glanced at the cable box below the tv.

"Thirteen hours."

"Ugh!" Unexpectedly, Kayla brings her foot back and starts to kick the end of the couch with all of her strength. The leg collapses where she kicks. Yelling her name, I run to my mate and put my arms around her, pulling her thrashing body away from the damaged couch. "No! Put me down!" I walk backwards with her till we are in the middle of the living room, no couches or any other furniture within her reach.

I put her down, keeping my arms around her. "Kayla you need to calm down."

"No I need to hit something!" She screeched and started to wiggle out of my grasp. My wolf could feel her wolf's anger, a bottled up substance that has been left dormant for the past week. All her frustrations were coming out now, and violently. Soon every emotion her wolf has been deprived of feeling will come out at once. She needed to calm down before she breaks.

"Kayla baby," I whispered in her ear. "You're ruining a perfectly good moment." I placed a slight kiss on her ear, her whole body going slack against mine.

"Parker..." She breathed, her body heat seeming to melt her into me. "I'm sorry." Without another thought, I turned her around in my arms and cupped her face into my hands. Her eyes were glassy and I quickly checked her over to make sure she did not injure herself. My wolf purred expectantly at our close proximity. Her smaller frame shivered against me.

"Don't be sorry." I breathed, my face inches from hers. "We are all worried, it would be unnatural if you were not upset. Your wolf is finally awoken inside of you and wants to be with it's pack, which includes Christian and Cedric. I can tell you and your brother are close, he would do anything for you, and you for him. So please baby, let us wait and see if he is back with us before the morning tomorrow. I have a strong feeling he would not be okay with you injuring yourself because he was gone." Kayla's cheeks turned a slight tint of pink at the last sentence, she knew I was right. Although we both knew if the situation was reversed, and Kayla was gone instead of him, he would have teared down the house by now.

She hugged me tight. "You're right Parker. He will be back soon." I wrapped my arms around her and held my optimistic baby close to my chest. Whoever it was that is in charge of this whole expedition to overthrow our land, he had not planned for Kayla to make it through what she did, especially not with a fully functioning wolf, that was thirsty for revenge in her mix of wild hormones.

We held each other for a while, eventually migrating to the couch so where Kayla finally fell asleep against my chest. I lay awake for a while, staring at her peaceful face. Our wolves were asleep together. Everything seemed at peace in those moments, so much so I started to doze off myself, momentarily letting my guard down. It wasn't until a vicious howl broke through my tranquil thoughts that I realized how much of a mistake that was.

Pulling Kayla's body behind mine, I crouched on top of her, my canines bared at the empty room. Whatever wolf that had just made themselves known to me, also presented themselves to the rest of the pack. Within mere seconds the whole house was awake, all my betas lining the room in fighting positions.