Chapter 33: Too close for comfort

-Kayla's POV-

Parker did not meet my eye often as we followed the two brothers through the outskirts of our territory, where it meets the woods. I can imagine I must have hurt his pride, disrespecting him in front of our pack. But there was good reason to. He was completely out of line to think that he could forbid me from helping them find my brother. I had a vengeance for whoever took them. If anything it would help Parker to have me along. I may not be the most experienced in his pack, but that's what Jared and Ian are here for. They're the muscle, while I am the unseen and underestimated threat that will, in the end, kill anyone that stands in the way of me and my brother. Well, Christian too.

Jared fell into step with me as we walked a few meters behind the front of our figuration. At the moment Parker, Ian, and the two brothers were arguing about where Cedric and Christian could be. The one had only seen them enter on the opposite side of the forest, we were now at the very opposite end of the trees. But who knows what direction they would have traveled, I bet it certainly was not straight.

"Are you okay?" He asked in a tender tone. I looked up to him, and smiled. It did not seem long ago Jared was hitting on me when I first came into the pack house with Parker. I remembered the hours of GTA and underage drinking that bonded me close to the guys more than I could have done knowing what I knew now. Jared was still cute, even if he was a theta to Parker, a term a had just become acquainted with. But Jared's handsomeness could never compare to the sexy body of my mate. My wolf purred in agreement, a strange sensation I had grown used to already.

"I'm fine." I tell him. "As fine as I can be."

"Your brother is fine." Jared reassured me. "Christian is a cousin of mine, but we are as close as brothers. I know him like the back of my hand, if there is anything he can do right its getting out of a tricky situation. He's smart. Your brother and him together will be able to tackle that forest head on, disadvantages and all." It had not occurred to me that behind the Jared's looks and flirty personality, that there was an intelligent man that had a comforting way with words. I could not help but imagine him with a mate, see him bow to the ground she walks on, and give her the world in the palm of his hand. The thought made me look to Parker. He seemed to be in an intense side conversation with his older brother, separate from the other tense conversation between the other two brothers. It was no longer weird to see Ian walking about and talking with Parker. He may have first been my teacher, but now he was family. Although, I am not sure how much I will like the idea when I will have to return to school. It will be as awkward as if Cedric were my teacher.

Chuckling softly to myself, I nodded. "You're right. I may not have known Christian as well as you or Parker has, but I know my brother. He's too stubborn to let himself get stuck in the woods without his cellphone. I swear to god he's probably somewhere out there laughing about the situation as we speak." Even though I doubted it was likely, the mental image I just conjured did put me more at ease. Jared too as he laughed beside me.

Jared and I walked to catch up to where Parker and Ian held authoritative positions over the two brothers, both trembling with fear. "Are you sure?"

"Y-yes I am sure, this is where I emerge from the woods earlier." The sun had not come out yet, but the moon was huge in the sky, it's moonlight supplying my eyes enough to allow me to see an opening within the trees in front of us. Huge paw marks marked the ground at its entrance.

"Are we going to retrace his steps?" I ask, joining to the conversation. Ian nodded and Parker sighed.

"It is the only place to start." Parker gave me a small smile. "We're close, don't worry babe we'll find them." My faced heated up at the endearing nickname. Grabbing my hand, Parker lead our search party and I to the entrance of the woods.