Chapter 23: Risking ones life for another

-Kayla's POV-

"Wait stop," I halted as Ian yelled for me to stop.

"What's wrong?" I asked as he sniffed the air.

"I think I got a scent," he muttered and made a deep inhale. "Yep I definitely caught a scent."

"Should we tell Parker?" I ask and he shakes his head.

"Not yet," he whispers and I raise an eyebrow. He puts a finger to his mouth and makes a 'quiet' gesture. I nod my head and follow him as he creeps west.

Towards the school?

"The school?" I whisper and Ian nods as he sniffs the air. "Do you need to shift?" I ask and he stops to shake his head.

"No when werewolf's are human we can smell them better as humans," he explains quickly. "Since they aren't shifted it would not only blow our cover but also I couldn't smell them as well."

"'Kay got it," I nodded and Ian grabs my hand and pulls me along to the side of the building. He slowly brings me towards the front and we slip in the handicapped soft-close door.

'Ian where are they?' I linked to him. 'Can you tell what floor?'

'No, I can just pick up a scent of a new werewolf. Maybe even more than one.'

'Well...' I started. 'What does it... You know, smell like?' God I let like an idiot as I asked that. Ian flashed me a cheeky, amused grin as he walked.

'You'll know soon enough.'

Well that was helpful.

Slowly I followed Ian down hallways and up stairs, a weary feeling in my gut.

I don't see anything different with the school. It's the same hell hole I've been trapped in for the past 3 and a half years. But I just can't put words to it. Something's different, almost in the air rather than the actual school.

'Thats because something is different,' Ian linked me. 'Something's off I can sense it too. You as a Luna should know your land better then anyone. You lead me around.'

'Me?' I asked him and he rolled his eyes.

'No the other Luna hiding around the corner,' he deadpanned and I gave him an exasperated look.

'Fine,' I strutted off ahead of him and closed my eyes. I know this school by heart. Everyday I roam these halls and I have memories everywhere in here.

Absentmindedly I walked over to the wall and ran my hand over the blue paint, my eyes staying closed.

This is my territory, I told myself. You protect your territory like it is your family, because it is my family.

Suddenly I saw it.

The walls spoke themselves.

My eyes snapped open and I looked at the part of the wall I touched. A faint mark was there that wasn't there before. Well it doesn't look like it was there before. Maybe it was and I'm just--

"Finally your here," my head snapped up as I heard voices. I looked to Ian and he put a finger to his lips, urging me once again to stay quiet.

"Sorry the main pack here was trailing us but Ramon hid our scent and shot it a different way," someone else said and I rolled my eyes. "The packs following it now."

And that would be Parker. The leader of the pack on the wrong trail now.

"You sure everyone's with them?" The other voice asked.