Chapter 34: A fight for control

Warning this chapter may be disturbing/ too graphic for some audiences and if any of you guys are squeamish then I suggest you skim through Cedric's POV.

-Parker's POV-

I did not let Kayla, or the brothers, out of my sight. Ian and Jared took turns spreading out and checking our wide perimeters, before coming back and starting to process over again a few minutes later. Kayla did not question or protest against the constant change. After her stunt earlier, she seemed to understand that some things I do know more than her about. Especially when it comes to how to keep her safe.

Even with the constant protection circling our little hunting party, the forest was still eerie and giving me the creeps. The sun had decided to rise and gave us much more light than when we had started, but my unease did not wane. The woods were too quiet. The silence was in our favor really. Easily Ian, Jared, or I could hear if Christian or Cedric were near, but it seemed to me that it was too easy. Nothing about this mission seemed right, everything was off. If it was not for my mate's hand keeping me in place, I would have exploded on the brothers. Probably accusing them of all sorts of unspeakable acts, even leading us in the wrong direction. But no. Not right now. As of now Kayla was serving as my anchor, keeping me sane. I squeezed her hand suddenly, assuring her that I was still right next to her. She smiled up at me, then ducked her head in a blush. I broke out into a grin.

She looked so cute when she blushed.

It was only a few more minutes of walking before Jared jogged back to my side. "There is a river up ahead, maybe we should stop for a little bit, we've been going a while." I lifted my eyebrow in confusion, werewolves could stand a lot more than a little bit of walking. Jared gave me a pointed look and dropped his gaze to Kayla and I's conjoined hands. Realization washed over me as I understood the message he was trying to convey. Yes we probably could withstand hours upon hours of walking with no need for sustenance, but Kayla was new to this, she needed rest.

I nodded. "Good idea." If Kayla was annoyed by us feeling she needed a break, she did not show it.

"Do you feel any different?" She asked me quietly, slowing our pace to let Jared lead everyone to the river ahead of us.

I raised my eyebrow. "About what?"

"About... Christian? Do you feel any closer to him or anything?" My eyebrow dropped seeing my mate's worried expression. As much as she tried to bury her concerns, some silent moments she could be as translucent as glass.

"This isn't our land." I sighed. "It's harder to feel that connection. Plus if he is injured then his wolf could be in major danger, being in that much pain. He could not be trying to reach out to us at all." She nodded wordlessly, and I feared that my honest words had the exact opposite effect than what I wanted them to.

Kayla quickened our pace, pulling me along slightly. Ian looked up slightly and caught my eye as we approached the river. The current was not strong in this section, and the land was mostly flat, giving no push for tributaries. Hopefully Cedric and Christian were smart enough to know to follow the water. I had no doubt they did, Christian is smarter sometimes than I give him credit for. For all I know they could be headed right for us here.

Letting go of my hand, my little beauty let Jared lead her to a nearby rock to rest her feet. She looked thankful, but did not appear to have the energy to form the words to thank him. My heart drop, had bringing her been a mistake?

Ian walked quickly to my side, his expression devoid of any emotion, but there was a glint in his eyes that told me something was wrong. I allowed him to pull me away from the group, shooting a look over my shoulder to Jared. He nodded to me then let his eyes wander over to the where the two brothers were whispering near the water.