Chapter 7

I'd almost forgotten that I'd promised Mike I'd meet him at his family's store for an interview, which meant I couldn't pick up Bella as I'd promised. I decided to cal Jules, which in my opinion was better. She needed to bond with girls, and Jules was sweet understanding and loved Bella. She said that all she'd planned to do was work in the auto shop with Jake and his gang of hooligans, as she put it, so she was more than happy to.

When I pulled into the shopping center where Mike told me I'd find his family's shop. I pulled in front of Newton's Olympic Outfitters. It was a one-story white building with a metal green roof. It seemed bright for what I was expecting for an outdoorsy shop. I was expecting a log cabin, type of building.

I shrugged, stepped out of my truck, and loped into the building through the automatic doors.

It seemed more like a hardware store from the inside. I scanned the narrow isles for Mike or someone that looked like they could be related to him. I noticed a few people in the shop, and my eyes drew to a deer head overlooking the store. My stomach turned again, and I walked through the center isle which had fishing supplies and noticed a counter that went along the back. I saw the back of Mike's blond head, he was talking to and facing me was a tall beautiful older woman, with long flowing highlighted blonde hair. Her red lips thinned as she hands with well-manicured nails rested on her voluptuous hips. If I didn't notice the logo of the store on her tight fitted shirt, I wouldn't have thought she worked here. She already seemed out of place.

Her blue eyes found mine and suddenly widened. Her hands came to her mouth as she sashayed toward me, as her black heels clicked across the hardwood floor. "Oh my gosh!" She squealed, "I'm sorry, you just look like a little Chief Swan."

I gave a weak smile as she came over and pinched my cheeks.

"I just want to eat you're so cute." She draped her arm over me.

"Mom!" Mike huffed.

She straightened and pushed her lips together, "I'm sorry. Beaufort, you just look so much like your father."

She pushed her fingers into her chest, "I'm Karen Newton, Mike's mother.I'm your boss, well, co-boss. I think my husband is around somewhere.

I blinked, "So I got the job?"

She let out a single giggle, "If Mike says you're trustworthy, and you're willing to work hard, I see no reason why you can't start now." She smiled, "We need the extra help, and this is a busy season."

I looked at her, "Really?"

"Oh yes," She flicked her hand, "The locals are big on hiking this time of year."

"It's forty degrees."

She let out a deep giggle, "Yes, but it's just before everything goes to sleep for the winter. It's actually nice."

I just smiled. I hated cold weather as it was, there was no way anyone would get me to hike in the woods in the freezing cold.

"I'm sorry about my mom, Dude," Mike said as he attached a flexi-pole to a small tent. Building displays were one of our closing duties.

In the four hours, I was there I'd got a basic rundown from Mike of the store's daily operations, as well as how to use the register.

Mike's mom wasn't so bad. She was just extra friendly, both of his parents were, but I was used to that since I had moved to Forks. They seemed affectionate. They would even steal kisses whenever they passed each other on the sales floor. They were like newlyweds.

Mike's dad was tall with the athletic build with dark brown hair. It was clear that Mike had gotten his features from his mother.

"Excellent work, Boys." Mr. Newton knelt to observe the tent we were finishing constructing. He wore dark forest green cargo pants with a million pockets, the white and dark gray shirt with the store logo on it, and a pair of black hiking boots.