Chapter 18

I don't think it set in on how important today was with Bella's third outfit change. Bella was never a girly girl, and it wasn't like she was coming down the stairs in little frilly dresses. She mostly wore jeans, but she must have worn almost every graphic top she'd owned. While normal girls her age were trying to decide whether to wear the One Direction top or Justin Bieber, my baby sister was deciding from a pink Jane Austin sweatshirt, that read 'You have bewitched me, body and soul' and a dark blue t-shirt with a raven on it that read 'Nevermore'. It was clear she was trying to impress Edward, and for one didn't like it.

"Bella, wear anything." I sighed as I sat on the couch, "It's just baseball."

She fluttered down the stairs, she actually smiled. It was the first one I had seen from her in months, "What do you think?"

I studied the white shirt, that read I, a big red heart, Mr. Darcy, "That's perfect. Who's Mr. Darcy?"

She rolled her eyes shaking her head at me still with a smile plastered across her face, "Pride and Prejudice, Beau. Don't you ever read the classics."

"Classic Spider-Man." I chortled, "What is it you see in this Edward guy, anyway?" Bella was putting on a thin jacket with a hood.

Her lip twitched upward as if she was trying to keep it from curving upward, "I don't know. I feel like he gets me. It's like he's in my head or something."

As she made her way toward the door something clicked. It made me realize once again there was something more I didn't like about Edward. What if he was in her head? What if he was up to something? What if it wasn't about her, what if this all was about me? It didn't matter what it was, I didn't like it more.

Edythe text me the meeting place of the baseball diamond in the middle of the woods. The clouds loomed above, which was usual for Forks but the dark blooms of gray made them look angry, and the thunder even rumbled I'm the distance, I wondered if they would still play. I knew vampires didn't like the sun but did they like being wet.

I looked down at Bella noting the reflection of her wide expectant eyes on the window. They had to know the cold rain would make humans sick. I text Edythe again as I got closer.

Are you guys still coming it looks like it's going to be a rain out?

After a moment another text came through my phone.

You will be fine. We have a little while. It will be fun, I promise. We're waiting. Parents can't wait to officially meet Bella.

I blew a breath from my nostrils as an uneasy feeling rolled in the bottom of my stomach. I wanted to trust Edythe's assurances but this nagging feeling wouldn't leave me alone. I pushed it away and just tried to think about spending time with my beautiful amazing girlfriend and her family which was always a good thing.

I noticed their cars before I saw the field and parked right next to Emmett's Jeep and as soon as I parked the passenger door flew open and Bella ran out. I blew out a breath as I'd stepped out of the truck.

As soon as I turned to the field, I suddenly had an appreciation for a part of the game I'd never had before, not that I'd appreciated any sport ever, other than another opportunity to get hit, stumble or make a complete fool out of myself, but as I watched Edythe sander toward me, in her white black striped baseball uniform that hugged her magnificent figure, my heart thundered in my chest as my gut flipped harshly. Her plump pink lips curved into a warm smile barely flashing her white teeth, her light hazel eyes glittered as she approached.