Chapter 10

The tall blond hostess showed us to a table by the window, where there is a view of the harbor across the street. The lights glimmer against the water, a beautiful contrast to the dark purple night sky. I look across the table right into Edyth's eyes and my heart trembles seeing the sparkles in her eyes a far more vibrant than those that danced on the water. Her lashes fell against her cheeks and I can almost make out a light blush on her cheek as she smiled. I couldn't help but smile back.

"Your server will be here soon," The hostess giggled as she touched my arm. My face burned. I had a feeling that she could tell by my nervousness that this was a date. I didn't want to call it that because I couldn't pay for it, but I was here with Edythe and that was all that mattered at the moment. Especially, considering the night I'd had.

Edythe looked up at me again, "What are you staring at?"

My heart skipped again, "You're beautiful," I blurted.

Her eyes fell again, "You're too much," She giggled silently.

"I don't want to keep you out too late."

"It's a little late for that."

Her hazel eyes shot up, "Really?"

"No, I mean, it's already late," I chuckled nervously, "I'm fine. I've cheated death twice already, this will be worth it." I sighed, "Totally worth it."

She looked down at the table and smiled again, a spiral curl falling to her face drawing my attention to her ripe lips.

"Good evening," I looked up and noticed a red-haired guy, in a dress shirt and black slacks, "I'm Jeremy, I'll be your server this evening." His eyes trailed toward Edythe and his voice got low, "Can I recommend the chef's special tonight.

I looked at my menu but kept an eye on Jeremy and his low eyes at Edythe, "What's the special?"

He licked his lips and his eyes never left Edythe, "That would be the Penne Vodka and the Fusilli Alfredo." It was like he was trying too hard to have an authentic Italian accent, "You should try the Ravioli Pomodoro," He smirked, "It's to die for." He even winked, and I was right there.

I looked at Edythe, who was looking back at me with low eyes that made my stomach do somersaults, "What sounds good?"

It took me a moment to realize she was talking to me.

I looked down and found the biggest word that I know how to pronounce, "The Chicken Parmigiana sounds delicious." I smiled at Edythe, "Well will you have sweetheart?"

She fanned her glittery fingernails through the air, "I'm on a diet, honey."

The waiter sat on the table facing Edythe blocking my view, "We have amazing salads."

"No thank you." Her small voice had a little more force behind it. Not exactly how she talked to those guys that robbed me, but she's seemed to make her point.

"What to drink?" He grumbled.

"Water." I shot him an annoyed smirk.

"Right." He snatched the menus and walked away.

My blood was beginning to boil. I took a breath and tried to let it go. Edythe was here with me, and she seemed as annoyed as I was. "He seems friendly."

I heard Edythe huff. "Men. You can live a million years and never understand why they have to be so pretentious." Her eyes trailed to mine and she smiled, "I'm sorry. No offense."

I chuckled, "None, taken. I

"Maybe he was just working a little too hard for a tip."

She sighed angrily. Even she didn't believe that.