Chapter 8

I stepped out to my truck on an unusually bright day. There was hardly a cloud in the sky, but the air was still crisp and cold. This was unusual, because this was Forks. Then again, everything about Forks was unusual. Especially when I thought about what Mike's dad had said about the urban legends. I couldn't stop thinking about it.

More unusual came during my lunch period. I'd looked over at the Cullen's table and it was empty. No Edythe. No Hale twins. No odd pixie-cut. No dark-haired Ken doll. Even Edythe's brother Edward. I wondered if they had moved. A coldness burrowed in the pit of my stomach. Edythe could have at least said good-bye.

"You looking for the Adam's family?" I looked over at Mike across from the table.

I shrugged looking down at my plate.

"The doctors don't believe in wasting sunny days," Jessica started, "They take them on nature hikes. So weird."

"I think it's cool." Angela said.

"I mean, why not just go to home school." Jessica's nose scrunched, "I mean, there all know-it-alls anyway."

Angela giggled, and I'd noticed Eric sitting closer to her than usual. It was clear that the two were an item, and that he was enamored by Angela, "Edward turning you down?"

Jessica's face faded to a light pink and her mouth opened.

I looked at Mike who's face was turning even redder and his jaw started to twitch as he stared daggers at Jessica, "You asked out that freak, Edward?"

Her eyes widened and her lips curved into an almost plastic looking smile, "That was way before you asked me, Mike."

I bit my bottom lip as a chuckle bubbled in my mouth. I had to give her respect, she went after what she wanted. Including me. I wouldn't tell Mike that she'd asked me. Then I wondered. I didn't know how to feel that I fell somewhere on the short list that included Edward Cullen. Or if that was a good thing, or if it was an anyone but Mike Newton list.

I was a little disappointed that Edythe wasn't going to be in my next class. I had a lot of questions for her. I wondered if she knew about the myths about the cold ones, and for some reason I wanted to tell her about my dream. She'd probably think that I was insane. Maybe I was.

There was a note on the door saying that class was going to be in the media center, and that we needed to get started on our research for our biochemistry projects. I lucked out again, I'd already done a science fair experiment on soil last year. All I needed to do was call my mom and ask her to send my project board and notes.

I just sat in front of one of the computers that looked like they came out in the stone ages, and make myself appear busy. I just started doing crazy searches, and then the town history, then the history of La Push, before I knew it I was reading through Quiluete legends. The stuff on the internet was vague and said nothing of a treaty other than one with early European settlers. It said nothing of wolves other then believing that everyone had an animal guardian with in them. The only way a person could even come in contact would be a spirit quest with no food and no water. I said that they could last anywhere from a couple of days, to a week, or even months.

"That's not enlightenment that's a hunger induced hallucination." I shook my head. I didn't want to talk bad about the Quiluetes, two of my best friends were, but that just seemed over the top.

Finally, I typed in "The Cold Ones". I was lead to a page about a Apotamkin, which was some weird sea serpent that turned into a woman and lured men and children to their death. I was a dead end, but I noticed a link to find out more information on Cold Ones and other Quiluetes legends, there were books available at the Thunderbird and While book store in Port Angels. I reserved the first two books I found on the short list from the search.