Chapter 17

I didn't really have a plan per-say when I pulled into the parking lot of the deserted restaurant. I had bottled water. My plan was to get it blessed by a priest, but then I wondered where I'd find one that would believe me. I just put minced garlic in it and shook it in the bottle. I didn't plan on using it, Edythe would never forgive me. I just needed to make a point. I was hoping Jacob and his friends would help that.

I wasn't sure how, but if I read the legends right and if vampires were the 'cold ones' referenced in legend, than Edward would be at least see them as formidable opponents. At least enough to believe that there would be consequences of coming near Bella.

I'd noticed Jacob's small car in the parking lot as I pulled in next to him. I wondered if the others were coming. I'd gotten a text from Edward saying that he wasn't far, so I needed them to be at the parking lot before Edward got there.

Jacob stepped out of his car, and I cut off my engine and stepped out. I adjusted my beanie cap and went toward his car.

Jacob lifted his chin, "What's up, Beau?"

I mirrored his gesture, "Hey, dude, where's everyone?"

He picked at the small strands of hair on his chin as he leaned against the back of his car, "They said no."

I grimaced, "Why not?"

Jacob shook his head, "Look the only reason I'm here is to make sure you don't do anything stupid."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Just as the question came out I noticed Jacob looking expectantly over my shoulder, I turned and noticed Edward's Volvo pull into the parking lot.

I dug into my coat pocket and wrapped my fingers around the plastic bottle of garlic water. His car parked beside mine, and I still could only see the silhouette of him.

He stepped out of the car and I noticed how tall he was. I stood next to Jacob crossing my arms like Jake, we looked like two pillars, or club bouncers.

Edward stood in front of us his feet apart as if bracing himself for battle. His lips curved into a smirk.

"Afternoon, Beaufort." He smiled.

"It's Beau."

He chuckled revealing his pearly white teeth and the sharp canines on the edge of his mouth. "Something on your mind?" His dark eyes narrowed.

"Yeah," I said as pulled the bottle from my pocket.

"Beau, what is that?" Jacob said with his teeth gritted.

"Garlic water."

Jacob's mouth thinned, "Garlic water?"

Edward chuckled and his head tilted back, "Garlic water?"

Anger fueled my veins and I opened it and doused him with it. I blinked and no longer stood in front of us.

"Where did he go, I asked outloud?"

"That was stupid." Jacob said.

"That was very stupid." A voice behind me said.

I jumped noticing Edward. I backed away as he snatched the bottle out of my hand and took a long swig of it, sloshing it around his mouth and spit it out on the pavement. He winced, "Not an acquired taste for me, but it will hardly kill me?" He smirked, "What else you got? Crosses? Stakes?" He shook his head.