Chapter 22

I didn't know how I could describe the feeling. I was floating alone in space through darkness. My skin prickled with cold bites all over my body. I felt as if I was being pulled, not into light, but into an sinister abyss. The back of my neck prickled, as I felt a heaving pull against my chest.

"Beau? Sweetie come back to me."

The light flooded through all at once and I'd gasped eagerly. Oxygen couldn't fill my lungs fast enough as I drew in short ragged breath.

"Oh no! He's choking," I recognized my mother's panicked voice, "Charlie, call the doctor. He can't breathe."

I saw light and heard voices, beeps, and between gasps.

"Breathe honey, breathe," My mother beg.

A cold gust of air coated my mouth and nose.

"Breathe in, breathe out," A deep unfamiliar voice instructed.

I took a slow breath in and slowly carefully pushing it out. Something spasmed and cause a sharp breath and then a cough. I sucked in another uncomfortable breath that's when I felt the sharp pains on my legs and arms.

A hand coated mine, "It's okay, Beau. You're okay." The voice soothed against my chest. Edythe.

My breaths became slow and easier and my eyes slowly adjusted seeing the faces hovering over me. Their eyes filled with love, and concern for me. My mother took my other hand and brushed my hair from my face, "My sweet baby boy."

"M-mom."

I noticed the glistening in my mother's eyes and then Edythe's gold eyes. Then my mind drifted I jerked up but they both pushed me down on the bed, "Bella." I called out, I pulled off the mask, "Where's Bella."

"She's fine." Mom said, "She didn't sustain as many injuries as you did."

"She's okay, Beau." Edythe said.

I fell back against the pillow and finally relaxed. I noticed my leg hanging in the air.

"You're lucky that's just a sprain and some stitches." My mom brought out her rare mom-lecture voice, "What were you thinking just leaving your father's without calling me. If I would have known you'd go to the old house,I would have bubble wrapped everything."

I looked at her and then at Edythe.

"Edythe, told me."

He felt my eyes widen.

"You fell down a flight of stairs and knocked your sister out of a window."

I looked at Edythe again.

"You have always been so strangely accident prone." She looked at Edythe, "There was this time we took him to the skating ring he cracked the back of his skull. I thought I lost him then."

Edythe's plump lip curved into a hint of a smile, "That explains a lot."

I rolled my eyes and shook my head feeling the burn of embarrassment but I couldn't help but smile. "Thanks Mom."

She pulled out her phone and started texting, "Yeah, well maybe when I bring you and your sister to Florida I can roll you in bubble wrap?"

Edythe laughed but I panicked. "W-what?"

"That is what you wanted? Your dad said you didn't want to be in Forks." She said, "Philip and I are going to take you and Bella to the new place. It will be a stretch but I'm sure we can accommodate you in the guest room, and we can turn the den—"

"No," I interrupted.

"What do you mean?"

I looked at Edythe and back at my mom.