Chapter 13

I would have stayed out all night, but my dad called and said that he needed to talk to me. Edythe followed me. She said it was to make sure I was 'safe'. I appreciated the concern, but I knew I should have been the one protecting her.

I pulled into the driveway and noticed, a midnight blue Audi, and a silver Mercedes, so I pulled off into the grass and Edythe pulled in behind me in her black Volvo.

I stepped out of my car and looked back at Edythe who was already littering honey eyes.

"There you are." Charlie's voice cut through our moment.

"Hey, Ch--um...Dad," I turned and smiled as I pulled Edythe to my side, "My girlfriend, Edythe. Edythe, My father Charlie Swan."

He offered a hand and shook Edythe's, "We've met. Nice to see you again, Sir."

"Just the two people we wanted to see." Another voice emerged from the house and I looked up and noticed a tall man with reddish hair that bared resemblance to Edythe and at his side was bright eyed Bella, and she was actually smiling, unlike Edythe's brother Edward.

"Hey Beau." Bella beamed.

I had a sick feeling, and it help I was under Edward's glare as he stalked toward me.

Edythe pulled me behind her, again protecting me, but now I stepped in front of her again. If any vampire was going to kill me would have rather Edythe's brother. He'd probably be merciful and make it quick. Possibly.

"Hey Edward."

"Beauford!" He nodded with a grimace that sent a cool chill down my back.

I swallowed thickly.

"What are you doing here?" Edythe smiled gritting her teeth, trying to cover her frustration.

Edward pushed his lips together, "Just talking to Beaufort's family. Nothing a concerned brother wouldn't do, for the man courting his sister." He looked at me and his lips curved into a devious smirk, "Right Beaufort?"

I looked Bella and then back at Edward, "Y-yeah," I stammered.

"And speaking of courting," he stalked past Charlie, "I think any gentleman wanting to properly court a young lady would have the decency to speak to her family of his intentions. Wouldn't you agree."

"Uh...yeah. Absolutely."

His smirk shifted to a wide smile, "Great! Then dinner is at eight. See you tonight." He looked at Edythe a moment. When she cocked her head and his eyebrow stretched, I knew the two we having some unspoken conversation. Or maybe it was spoken. I remember Edythe's gift, I wasn't sure of Edwards but it was possible.

"It was a pleasure, visiting with you Mr. Swan," He waved and then nodded toward Bella, "Bella."

"Bye Edward." She waved.

Something strange hit the pit of my stomach but I ignored it.

Edward's car growled to life and he started forward stone faced staring directly at me. When he finally backed out of the driveway Edythe blew out a breath.

My stomach turned.

I jerked as Charlie set his hands on my shoulders, "He seems like a nice kid." He walked toward his police car, "I guess you need to get cleaned up."

I grimaced. Something else hit the pit of my stomach, "Why?"

"You want to make a good impression," He said, "I already called Carlisle, he's expecting you."

My heart dropped, "Really?"

"Yes, Beau." Charlie laughed, "Her brother had a point. He deserves to know your intentions. He told me how you came to her rescue out in La Push," He shrugged, "You have that going for you. They all want to thank you."