Chapter One: City Of Mine

I waited until everyone was off the train before pulling my old suitcase out of the overhead compartment and adjusting my baby blue hat, so it rested lower on my head and shadowed my face. I waked to the trains exit and was helped down by one of the conductors. I nearly had a panic attack as I watched the hustle and bustle of New York City from the platform.

I had made the very irrational decision of boarding an almost two-day train too Manhattan, after convincing myself that it was the least predictable place for a country girl like me to flee too. I almost instantly regretted my decision as I tried to push and navigate myself to the exit of the train station.

I never thought it would happen, but I finally was greeted with the bitter cold winds and the smoggy air of the city as I exited that God-forsaken place. I pulled the white, lace shawl closer to my body in attempt to shied off some of the harsh bite coming from the wind. There was such a drastic difference between the weather in lil' ole Charlotte, North Carolina and New York. It was only just getting cool back home.

Stop Milly! This is your home now! No one back home can ever love you again! Not after what they think you did! A sob left my throat, but I forced the tears to the back of as I tried to figure out where I was. Being barely sixteen, a lady, and alone in a new city was no fun. And, if that wasn't enough,the wind suddenly picked up and swept my hat clean off my head, letting my wavy hair fly free.

"Shit," I mumbled loudly before slapping a hand over my mouth and silently scolding myself and my influential, sailor mouthed older brother. Another whimper at the thought of my brother escaped my throat, but I ignored it and went after my hat, struggling because of my suitcase. I hiked my skirt up to my shins and pushed people out of my way, as I went against the natural pattern of traffic.

I was almost able to grasp my hat when it flew back towards an alley, and not thinking I was in a new place, where the meaning of alley meant something completely different, I followed it. My hat landed on ground close to a puddle and all I could do was thank my lucky stars.

But I guess I thanked my stars to soon, because just as I started to reach for my hat another hand grabbed it from the ground. My stomach clenched and my head told me to turn away and yay leave, but my damn pride just wouldn't let me. So, I stood up straight and lifted my chin a little. A pair of striking, ice blue eyes starred back at me and then I spoke slowly to control my stutter.

"I do believe that's my hat, sir." I spoke politely as to not put myself in any danger.

"An' I'se believe you is interruptin' a very important newsies meetin'! An' I ain't no sir, Doll Face!" Said the boy with brown hair. My hat was in his left hand dangling by his side and his right hand was holding onto some type of walking came.

"My n-name is not Doll Face, and I wouldn't be interrupting a-anything if you'd just give me back my hat, please." My gaze still locked with his. He didn't respond and I couldn't be kept waiting any longer, so I reached out for my hat only to have him jerk it away. This caused me to stumble into him, and stabilize myself with his shoulder.

When I looked up, I was incredibly to close for appropriateness and could feel my cheeks flush pink. I looked up from his chest, as he was a head taller then me, and was meet by a sly, and cheeky grin.

"Look Doll, if youse wanted my attention all ya gotta do is ask. I mean with a pretty face likes yours.." my chin dropped to the floor at his statement

No matter how incredibly rude and forthcoming he was though, I couldn't help but notice how handsome he was. And with that thought and the realization that he was not going to give my hat back, I turned on my heel and stalked off.

"I'll meet youse at Tibbys!" The boy called as he chased me down the street. I didn't slow down though, because I was already annoyed.

"Hey Doll Face! Didn't ya hear me runnin afta ya?" I just shrugged my shoulders in response and kept walking with out looking at him. Because of his height he cast a shadow over me blocking the little bit of sunlight that was providing warmth.

"Aren't youse gonna say anything?" He asked.

"Anything." I replied, being a bit of a smart mouth. When I looked up at him I had a huge smile on my face, but he was glaring at me like he was annoyed.

But I knew he wasn't, because I knew his type. He was just like my brother.

"'Ere's ya hat Doll Face." He said passing it over, so I could place it and adjust it on my head.

"Thanks, but could you please stop calling me Doll Face?" I asked looking straight ahead.

"Well 'n orda for dat ta 'appen yous gotta answer two questions. What's da pretty name to match a pretty goil? And why's do ya talk so weird?" He said. Is it weird that I liked the accent.

"I don't talk weird! You are the one who talks weird!!" I said giggling lightly as I looked at him. He was smiling again and man did it make me feel weird.

"Look apparently youse ain't from 'round 'ere, so youse da one wit da funny accent. Ya still didn't tell me ya name!" He said.

"My names Milly and I'm from Charlotte, North Carolina." I said quietly incase someone heard me. We continued to walk down the street side by side brushing up against each other and my checks must have been painted red.

"You know, I don't know your name either." I said nonchalantly, trying to break the silence.

"Spot. Spot Conlon."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Y'all!

So... This is the second time Ive tried to post this so pray it works!!

ANYWAYS.... This takes plays bout a year after the strike and the rest will unfold as I write it :)

I LOVE CHU GUYS VERY MUCH!!

OH! Who's y'all's favorite newsies?!?

-K.
XxOo