Chapter Six: Mistakes

SPOT'S POV (ohhhh!)

The look on her face 'as been hauntin' me all night an Ise didn't get notta wink of sleep cos of it. When the Bowery girl was kissin on me, I saw somethin' in Milly's eyes. Pain. Betrayal...Jealously. But why would there be jealously?

Of course I had flirted with her. I'm Spot Conlon I don't stick ta one goil. But I, in a way, I think...just maybe... I'd feel the same if I'd seen her wit sum boy all ova her. It's a weird feelin' and I won't give in to it, but I do wanna go and, I dunno, apologize for not speaking wit her.

"Whatcha thinkin' so hard on?" Ace, my right hand man, said to me while punchin me in the arm jokingly.

"Did youse happen ta see which way dat goil from last night ran?" I asked him not looking and walking towards our sellin' spot.

"Why? Ya wanna have her over like dat Bowery beauty?" He said nudging my side and causing me to smirk.

"Nah, but I want ta see what she wanted. I mean it's not normal for a goil wit a face like hers ta come ta Brooklyn and it not bein a night call, if ya knows what I mean." I said laughing with him.

"I do. I do. Ummm... I think she went ta 'Hattan. Bett cha some boys already picked up ah pretty one like that. I was gonna go forh her, but she left lookin pissed, so I don't goes for a goil when she's pissed." When ace said this, it made da pit of my stomach burn with anger, but I could not speak that or else he'd now somethin' was up.

"Like you could get her anyways." I said, to appease my anger and hide my actual feelings.

"Youse just don't want no competition." Ace said smiling at the joke he thought I would find funny. I decided rather quickly that it was time to end this conversation that was only making me mad and when I was mad hell broke loose.

"Did ya see the headline today? 'Dog helps blind girl around Brooklyn', looks like its gonna need a lotta embellishin'!" I said, and I was speakin' da truth.

"Yea I planned on getting thighty, but fifteen will do just fine." And with that me and Ace started sellin papes.

I didn't know where in 'Hattan Milly would be, but with how close the Brooklyn and 'Hattan newsies is, I'll have 'me help me find her for sure. I'd go afta I finished sellin papes.

I have to find her.

MILLY'S POV

Davey said I was a natural and not long after we started I had already sold twenty five of my papes and had perfected the "news boy accent" according to Davey. I actually liked talking like that a little, it was a welcomed change and was so nice.

I was glad I had Davey to teach me and even though we had only known each other for a day, if even, he helped me forget about the whole in my heart caused by my brothers murder. He reminded me of Eric in so many ways.

He had the same warm brown eyes, that were the complete polar opposites of mine. He laughed with the biggest smile that made my heart melt, just like Eric's. The way Davey acted and held himself with confidence just like Eric made me want to do everything I could for him. Even though Davey, and Eric, were both older then me I didn't want to let them down.

I had already let Eric down. I didn't try to help him as much as I could. I didn't throw myself in front of that damn bullet. I didn't call for help.

I just left.

And I sure as hell wit do that to Davey. Davey was Gods gift to me. It's like he was sent as a second chance and I wasn't going to let this one slip from my grasp. No matter what.

The only thing that was keeping me from giving my full attention to Davey and his teachings on how to embellish the headlines and hook a costumer, was Spot.

No matter what, I couldn't help but think back to the boy with the Brown hair that looked blond in certain light. His blue eyes pierced in my mind and his thick, rough accent sent chills down my spine.

I didn't really know what I was feeling, because I hadn't ever felt anything like this before. I knew I hated him and that he angered me quicker then anyone I had known my whole life.

But, my momma always told me that the man who angers you was the one who loves you. I never fancied myself with the institution of love and marriage though, because mine was supposed to be arranged and it seemed like one of the pointless children's story my momma read to me.

But maybe that was a mistake, maybe now that my parents could never love me, I could love someone else. I co-

"MILLLLLY!!!!!!" Davey screamed in my ear and I jumped to the moon and back.

"Wha' was that forh?" I said, sticking my finger in my ear and analog in rapidly, in an unladylike fashion.

"I've been askin' ya if ya wanted to go ta Tibby's for da past five minutes. It's like youse was in anodda world."

"Sorry Davye I was just think, ya know." I shrugged.

"I swear I'm gonna give Spot a good talkin' to next time I see him." He said, throwing his arm over my shoulder and directing me to Tibby's.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Not much happened in this chapter, but I promise the next chapter is gonna have some action and maybe a lil summtin summtin!!!!

HAHA!

Well, I hope y'all likey!

Comment, vote, and fan!

Love yas!!

-K.

XxOo