Chapter Three: Carryin' Da Bannah

Sometimes in life its hard to catch a break, and obviously whatever Deity ruled over my life didn't want me to catch a single one, all they wanted for me was a broken heart beyond repair, and I definitely couldn't stop their judgment. Because if I could what I just saw, it wouldn't be hurting me the way it is.

***Two Hours Ago***

I woke up to a knock on the door and a voice say, "Time to leave, sweetheart!". So I pushed away the warm set of blankets that I had swaddled myself into last night after crying myself to sleep and swung my legs over the side of my bed. I quickly threw my brother old clothes, bible and cap into a small bag I had traded my suitcase for and I also threw in the night gown I had just shed. Slipping on my enhancing undergarments and the mesmerizing dress, I walked over to a small looking glass and ran my figures through my natural wave and tucked bits and bobs behind my ears. Happy with the way I looked, I grabbed the small cloth sack and left the Inn for good.

I steeped out into the brisk air of Manhattan that kept getting incredibly brisker, even if only over a week of time. I asked a lovely women to direct me to Brooklyn and when she did I was off and on my way.

One thing I had grown to love about Manhattan and New York was the ability to see so many different kinds of people and their interactions. You obviously had the higher class that roamed the streets in their fancy cars and the young couples so in love the didn't think anyone would see them sneak a kiss behind the colors of the lady's parasol. Then there were the young boys in short pants running around and playing without a care in the world. The mothers giving their young daughters lessons on appropriate behavior when in public, and showing them who the most eligible boys were.

But, there were also the boys you could see taking a break after working in the shops and shining shoes. The girls with dark circles under their eyes from spending countless hours in sewing shops. You could hear what the people called, "Newsies" barking enhanced headlines just for a "penny a pape". These working children made my heart clench, because no one saw them and the "Newsies" reminded me of Spot and that made me want to see him even more.

***

The walk to Brooklyn was a long one, but as I crossed the bridge I smiled to myself. Now the only obstacle was where to find Spot and what exactly to say to him. I looked for his familiar brown and blue eyes that always crept their way into my mind, but was disappointed that I did my find him right away. But, I did see a newsie standing on the corner of the street right after the bridge and decided to ask him if he had any information that could help me.

"Hello, I was wondering if you could be of any help to me. I'm looking for someone." I said, getting his attention.

"Anythin' for a pretty lady like yaself." He winked. Ugh! Boys. I thought to myself.

"Well," I said clearing my throat, "could you tell me where Spot Conlon may be?"

"Whats ya want with da boss? He break ya heart or summtin? I can fix it for youse, ya know?" Again he winked, and I felt a little bile reach the back of my throat.

"No he did not 'break my heart or summtin', but I would very much appreciate it if I could please see him. All I need to know is where to find him." I said simply, forcing a small smile onto my face.

"Wat eveah. Just go down to da dock. He'd be der somewhere." He replied curtly, before barking out headlines again.

"Thanks." I said, before walking away from the boy and down towards the docks.

As I made my way down there, I concluded that this must be where all the Brooklyn newsies hung out, because as I walked down the docks more an more boys appeared. A lot were shirtless, even in this chilly weather, and a lot were starring and cat calling me. I, though, just looked straight ahead with my chin up and eyes adverted from all newsies.

I continued to walk towards a tower like structure, because as the other newsie referred to Spot as "da boss", it seemed like the place he would. I was finally where I needed to be, and was going to call out for him, but was cut of by a hand over my mouth and a big built guy standing in front of me.

Another pair of hands restricted mine behind me, as I tried to wiggle free, my screams being muffled by the newsies hand.

"Who ah ya ans what da ya thinks youse doin'?" The guy in front my me asked. I tried to answer, but nothing was comprehensible due to the muffling hand over my mouth. I give the boy an almost annoyed look, before he realized that I wouldn't be able to speak until I was set free.

"Look," I said when I was finally free, "I just need to speak with Spot. Tell him a friends here. Tell him it's Milly."

"No one talks talks ta da king wit out notice." The boy spoke.

This time I got right up in his face and said, "Look newsie, you'll call him for me, or ill kick ya were the sun don't shine. Got it?"

He swallowed nervously and backed away from me. Normally I wasn't one for violence, but I also wasn't one for be pushed around and man-handled either.

The boy turned around and called up to the tower, "Spot, Boss youse got company."

There was some stumbling and shuffling above us, but the only response was "Ace, let me be! I'm busy!"

The boy turned back to me, as if to say "Oh well!", but I gave him an evil eye and he turned right back to the tower.

"Look Spot. It's some goil named Milly. Shs done said she ain't leavin' til she sees you." The boy, Ace, yelled out.

This time Spot actually made an appearance, and as he leaned of the towers railing and our eyes made contact I smiled. But only for a brief second, because then some girl was standing beside him and placing kisses on his cheek and neck and jaw, until she captured his mouth and led him a way again. My heart sunk a little and I felt betrayed. He didn't even stop her.

I'm not sure why I feel this way. Why I feel like my heart has been ripped out of my chest and torn to bits in front of my eyes, but it does and it takes every ounce of my strength not to cry and run away like a baby. These damn newsies don't need to see me like that, they'd only make fun of me. So, I mumbled a quick "A-asshole." Before turning on my heel and leaving the docks.

As soon as I was clear of all newsies I broke down, leaning against a wall of some building of the New York side if the Brooklyn Bridge. I really had no where to go now, and as night was falling so was the temperature.

My eyelids were falling heavy but snapped open as soon as I felt someone trip over my outstretched feet and land on top of me. I screamed loudly taken aback, but instantly stopped as a boy with warm brown eyes and dirty brown hair looked at me with all the innocence of a puppy.

"I'm sorry miss. I'se can be such ah cults sometimes but it probably ain't the best thing to be sleepin' on da sidewalk like you were." I smiled sheepishly at the position we were still in, but he didn't mind I guess because lhe just kept speaking, saying "Im David, but youse can call me Davey."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey! WHOOP!

Second update today!!!

I'm going to bed now though, I'm exhausted. I hope you liked that though.

I ain't got much to say....

BYEEEEEE!

-K.

XxOo