Chapter Nine: Truth Be Told

MILLY'S POV

He was jealous! Spot Conlon avid womanizer was jealous because Davey had his arm over my shoulder and I was laughing. That was still no reason to hit Davey, but now at least I knew why he did it.

I grabbed Spot's hand and pulled him through the lodge house window and over to my bed, where Davey laid still unconscious. I placed a hand on his forehead an smiled at how weird he looked knocked out and the shiner that was appearing on his jaw from Spot. That's gonna hurt in the morning.

"Oh n-no! His p-p-parents will be s-so worried about him and I have no-I clue where h-he lives. How-w am I-I gonna explain t-this to t-t-then?" Panic started to set in as the fact the Davey lived at home with his parents sunk in.

"S'okay! Calm dow'n an' breaf! Ise know where Davey-boi lives. 'is old man ain't particularly fond of me-" I cut Spot off with a outburst of laughing and looked at him with a sarcastic face.

"Well, c-c-can you bl-blame them? You did s-s-soak their son, b-because he was being nice to me." I couldn't stop laughing and Spot just looked at me with a smirk and laughed too.

"Come on Doll Face, Davy don't live far from hereah." He said going to grab Davey's arms.

"I said not to call me "Doll Face"! Alright, Spoty?" I said smirking and grabbing Davey's feet.

"I thinks Doll Face suits ya and youse need a newsie name. Everyones got one!" Spot says.

"Wes thinks Doll Face fits ya too." A new voice spoke, from the other side. I spun around quickly to see Race and the other newsies standing in the doorway watching us.

"How long youse been there?" Spot asked, still holding on to Davey's hands.

"Long enough ta figure youse to were togetter just by watchin ya and ta notice Davey's out cold." Kid Blink said, coming to stand right beside race. "What happened ta em?"

Me and Spot looked at each other, then to Davey, then back at each other. I didn't know wether I should say something or not, but Spot just shook his head slightly before sighing and clearing his throat.

"I hit him squea on da jaw and he den fell backwoids and hit 'is' head on da ground." He said, with nothing but his normal egotistic type manner about him.

"B-but, I-I-I already g-gave him a st-stern talking t-to." I blurted out and stepped in front of him when I noticed Mush stepping towards us. "We we were j-just about to ta-take him h-home."

"Me n Bumlets will do it. Ise gotta talk ta Les bout a new sellin idear I gots for 'im." Race said pushing past me and Spot, with Bumlets in tow, and grabbed Davey.

"Just be careful, okay?" I said, feeling a little motherly to the two boys, even though they were both a little older then myself.

"Don't cha worriy 'bout us Doll Face, wes big bois. We can take cares of outselfs." Race said chuckling at my remark.

"I really don't like that nick name." I said with a scowl on my face and a little but of sarcasm, because it was the first time a group of people had actually taking the time to want to include me in their group, no matter how weird the names got.

I was always the one in my brothers shadows, not that I minded. In fact, I loved being able to have him to look up too. No matter what type of mistake I made, something he did always masked my ignorance. I was never the daughter my parents wanted and they had me engaged as early as possible, most likely, just to get me out of their hair.

My brother was the only one that ever really acknowledged my existence and that's why I made the choice I did. My parents would obviously see me as the one who murdered my brother. They would not hesitate to send me to a home for "Wayward youth" and I couldn't bare the thought of being in the same town my brother was killed.

I didn't even know why my brother was killed by a man so unfamiliar. What had he done? What had my parents done? Was it all my fault?

I hadn't noticed I was crying, until Spot started rapidly shaking me, begging me to "snap outta it!" The tears were rolling down my cheeks and violent sobs were choked out of me. I looked around the room and it was completely empty, with the exception of Spot and I.

"Wh-where did e-e-everyone go?" I whispered into Spots chest, seeings how he had thrown his arms around me in hopes of comforting me.

"Ta Medda's. Now, what's wrong wit ya?" He lead us over to my bed and we sat down with our feet hangin off the sides.

"Do you k-know why I came to New York all by myself?" I asked, not really expecting an answer. He just nodded his head no and continued to rub circles on the back of my hand with his thumb as he looked at me. "Well, I'm from a v-very, very small s-s-southern town where family means everything and to kill ones ki-k-kin is the ultimate sa-sin. I was already living in the s-s-shadows of my older brother, Eric, and after h-h-his real murder shot him, he found the pa-perfect o-ooutlet of blame. Me. He made me watch my brother d-die. I didn't t-t-try to stop him. I d-didn't take the bullet. It's my fault the world lost such a perfect man." I whispered my voice cracking with every pause. "He was only nineteen."

Spot looked at me full on and wiped the last tears that fell from my eye with his thumbs. His icy, blue eyes soft and compassionate, something I'm sure he wouldn't let anyone else see.

"Hey, hey don't talk likes that. I'm sure ya brudda wouldn't want youse ta take a bullet foah him. And think youse ain't alone anymore, okay? You got me and da 'Hattan newsies, 'n I'm sure once ya meet my newsies and dey warm up ta ya, they won't let anythin 'appen ta ya. I like youse a lot and I ain't gonna let nothin take you away from me. Go dat?" I gave him a weak smile and he returned it with a soft kiss.

"Now you need ya sleep,okay?" He stated and started to get up.

"Where you going?" I asked as I went to pull the blankets back for myself.

"Well, I live in Brooklyn."

"Stay with me, please." I whispered and slid over as close to the edge of my bed as I could.

He didn't respond with words, but smiled his lopsided grin and slid Ito the bed with me. I snuggled quickly into him, laying my head and arm on his chest. Spot then threw his arm behind my neck and rubbed circles on my back until I drifted of into the first dreamless sleep I had in over a week.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm actually proud of this one.

I'm sorry I didn't update yesterday, but on the way to Tennessee I threw up twice while going through the mountains :/

Well, comment where your favorite place to Holiday is. Mines Europe and New York!!!

Much love,

K.

XxOo