Chapter Five: Seize The Day

"P-PLEASE DO-ON'T HURT HIM!" I screamed as I sat straight up, panting and sweating. I could not remember where I was, until I was meet with three pairs of eyes looking at me.

"Youse ok Miss Milly?" Crutchy asked me after I settled down and was breathing normally. He, Race, and Mush were all looking at me worriedly.

"I'm alright Crutchy," I said, placing a hand on his cheek almost like a mother would' "just a bad dream that's all. I didn't mean to wake y'all up, it must be three in the morning. Go back to sleep I promise i'll be fine." I smiled softy at all of them, reassuring them that I was okay.

"Whateva ya say Miss Milly." Mush said, before climbing back up to the bunk above mine.

"Ya sure?" Race asked me, rather loudly.

"Of course I am. Now be quiet you'll wake the others."

"Nahhh," Crutchy responded, "they sleep likes they is dead." I chuckled at his funny way of describing them and shooed him and Racetrack away.

I laid down and pulled the covers to my chin and started to cry silently. The dream was about my brother and it felt so real and it was absolutely terrifying.

***

I must have fallen asleep at some point, because the next thing I remember is Davey and Kloppman walking into the room screaming at us to get up.

"Come'on Snitch! Time ta sell some papes!"

"Mush! Stop kissin' ya pillow and get ta work!!"

"Up and at em' boys! Papes don't sell themselves."

"Wake up! Time ta carry da bannah!"

I sat up slowly in my bed but closed my eyes quickly, because it seemed some of the boys shed some of their clothing as the night went by.

"Ahhhh!" I screamed as a boy no older then seven ran by stark naked. My hands flew to cover my eyes and I was frozen in a state of horror.

"Snitch! Put some clothes on!!" Davey yelled at the boy as he pried my hands from my eyes, promising it was clear.

"Sorry about that Milly, he's a bit of ah wild card. Anyways ya know that best friend I was tellin ya 'bout? The one that married me sista?" I nodded my head, remembering the conversation I had with Davy just yesterday. "Well, he used ta be the leader round here,he used ta look afta all the 'Hattan newsies, he was the one that initiated the strike for us newsies ta get our rights." I kept silent as Davey kept talking about his friend. "We'll anyways, I told him 'bout you and he told me to tell ya, youse gots ta be careful! He says the same thing I do, bout pretty girls with face like yours, bein in dangea in ah job like this one. So youse gotta be real careful!"

"Oh, okay." I whispered, silently cursing myself for not thinking about this before. "Hey Davey!"

"Ya Milly?"

"Will you help me out to day? You know, give me some tips and advice!" I asked, as he took my hand and pulled me off the bed.

"Sure thing Doll Face." I flinched when he said that because I so blatantly reacted to what he said, Davey notices. "Whats wrong?" He asked me placing a hand on each if my shoulders and looked straight into my eyes.

"Brooklyn." Was all I said and he automatically understood and pulled me into a hug that reminded me so much of the ones my brother gave me.

'Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.' I thought to myself as tears made there way to my eyes and even though I tried to force them away, Davey seemed to notice everything.

"Why I outta give Conlon a soakin that will have him cryin' for a week." The look of disgust on his eyes was, in a weird way, heartwarming.

"No! No, Davey it isn't that. It's just...well, you remind me so much of my brother and it is kinda...nice." I said my voice horse and barley above a whisper.

David's eyes beamed with pride and a type if love that could only be described as brotherly. "Well then consider me your brother!" I smiled up at him when he said that with the biggest grin I've ever smiled.

Davey then lead me down the stairs and out of the lodge and towards the distribution center. We stood in the middle of a long line that lead up to a shack with a glass window, where three people stood behind it. I couldn't make out anything other then that, though. Me and Davey made small talk about the strike that had happened over a year ago and all the laws that Roosevelt had out in place in honor of the newsies and all the other working kids of New York.

Soon, me and Davey had made it to the front of the line, where Davey had informed me to lay down my fifty cents and as for "thirty papes". He also said to try and mimic the newsies/ Manhattan accent, so I didn't seem so suspicious.

"Aye Mr. Weisel fifty papes for me today!" Davy spoke, with such confidence to a very large man with gray, thinning hair and a fancy suit type thing on.

"Fifty for Davey!" The man called over his shoulder and a boy with a bowler hat on passes Davy his papers.

"Thanks Oscar."

"Whateva" the boy replied with a nasty smirk on his face. Note to self don't piss him off.

"I'lls take thighty papes!" I said, outing my money down mix in the same way Davy did.

"And who might you be?" The man asked me, starring at me strangely.

"This is Milly and she's gonna be sellin wit me from now on. She won't be no trouble!" Davey said, stepping in for me. Weisel nodded his head and told us to move on.

I went to get my papes from the same boy that gave Davey his, Oscar I think, but now he was joined with another boy and they were both starring at me.

"What you ain't eva seen no goil befoah?" I spoke abruptly, taking my papes from them.

"Not no girl newsie before and even if wes had they weren't as nice lookin' as you."

"Leave the girl alone Morris she isn't buyin it!" Said Racetrack, who was behind me in line.

"Much obliged!" I said thanking Race as we walked away from the two of them.

"No problemo Mills!" He replied walking with me towards Davey who was sitting by some type of statue.

"Already shorting my name, huh?" I said with and smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Next chapter from a different Point of View! Try and guess in the comments bellow!!

IT'S 1AM!

I SHOULD GO TO SLEEP.......

Bye...

I REALLY WANT PANCAKES THOUGH... Ones with chocolate chips in them or even raspberries! Yummy!

BYEEEEEE!

-K.

XxOo