Chapter Four: Moving In

"Nice to meet you Davey, b-but do youse think y-you coul-d-d get off me? And I-I mean that in the nicest w-way." I spoke, looking into his inviting eyes and smiling like a fool.

"Oh, of course! Sorry Miss..." Davey trailed of as he stood up and stretched out his hand to me.

"Milly. My name is Milly." I said, gladly accepting his hand an allowing him to lift me off the ground.

"Are you alright Miss Milly? You look like youse been cryin'." Davey spoke as he started walking down the street and away from the bridge.

I followed him and said, "It's n-nothing I guess. Just so-ome s-s-stupid idea I-I-I got in my head and I w-was to ignorant to see that it would never w-w-work. Now I'm stuck in New York with no p-p-place to stay, no money to use, and t-this strange feeling in my heart becaus-se of some dumb newsie! And I'm not s-sure why I just told a complete stranger my p-p-problems, you must think I'm crazy."

"Surely youse can't think all newsies are dumb. I mean, I don't think I'm dumb." Davey said, looking at me with a wink.

"Oh bless! Y-you probably think I'm a-a-a snobby rich g-girl and I'm so sorry because I d-d-don't mean to insult you a-and I didn't mean to b-burden you with my problems. I am truly sorry." I spoke, my face was flushed and my voice shook with embarrassment

"Hey don't worry about it. I can't fix ya heartbreak, but I can give you a place to stay and it'll also help ya wit thinkin all newsies are stupid. It's the newsies lodge house, I would say youse could stay with me an my folks, but there ain't no room and there is always room at the newsies' place."

"I don't know Davey, that s-sounds awfully nice, but not very ap-ppropriate." As much as I wanted to accept, it just was nerve wracking.

"It wouldn't be appropriate for me to let a young misses with a pretty face like you alone street, either." He spoke back, wrapping his arm around me and drawing me in close as I'd to keep me warm, because I was shivering.

"Well, are these n-newsies nicer then the ones in Brooklyn?" I asked, not thinking anything of it.

"What you been doing in Brooklyn? Those guys are no good."

"Wish I'd k-known that before I meet S-Spot." I mumbled, a tear rolling down my cheek.

"This story just keeps getting more interesting," he said chuckling, "are you cryin'?" He stopped walking and lifted my chin with his hand. He almost looked like a puppy when he looked down, because he was so many inches taller then me.

"Heartbreak, I-I think is how you said it." I replied shying away with a smirk.

It took Davey a few seconds to put two and two together, but the spark finally lit and he said, "Why I outta soak him!"

"Thanks Davey, b-but that's not the s-s-smartest thing and I-I don't really know h-him and he don't really know me s-so it's not like we w-were a thing." I grabbed David by the elbow and pulled him in the direction we were just walking.

"We'll, I haven't known you for long and I already know your a great girl. You remind me a lot of my sister." He said with a smile of a loving brother.

"Where is she now?" I asked, "I mean your s-sister."

"She married my best friend. And we're here." He replied walking up the steps to the door.

"Are they gonna like me?" I asked.

"Are you a girl?" He said jokingly. "But in all serious, don't worry about it. There easy guys ta get along with and i'll make sure youse takin' care of."

He opened the door for me and I walked in timidly. There was an old man standing behind a counter who looked like he was going to fall asleep standing right up and I could not help but giggle.

"Aye Kloppman!" Davey yelled, and the old man jumped three feet in the air and let out a yelp.

"Davey! Ya can't scares an ole' man like dat. I 'bout had a heart attack!" Kloppman replied.

"Sorry old friend. I brought you a new tenant. Set her first weeks rent on me okay?" We didn't wait for the man to answer, Davey just dragged me out of the lobby and into a room with numerous bunks and almost all of them were filled with rag-tag boys off all ages.

"Hey guys." Davey hollered again, still not leaving my side and I'm thankful for that.

"Aye, Davey!" Said a boy with a cigar hanging out off his mouth and a hand if cards in his hands.

"Who's the beaut?" Another boy with a eye patch said.

"The 'beaut' can s-speak for herself." I said, getting a new burst I energy, and cutting Davey off. "It's Milly." I smiled after saying my name, because it made me happy. It was my grams name and I love it very much.

"She's gonna be staying here and were all gonna take care of her and watch out for her. Plus, she's gonna be a newsies." Davey explained to them.

A boy with large muscles and no shirt-which made me blush- came up to me and said, "Im Mush, nice ta meet cha." I shook his hand and smiled at him.

"Like wise." and then everyone in the room started coming and introducing themselves to me.

Kid Blink.
Boots.
Racetrack or just Race.
Snitch.
Snipeshooter.
Pie Eater.
Albert.
Specs.
Crutchy.
Itey.
Snoddy.
Skittery.
Bumlets.

There are so many of them, but at least I'm good with names. "Well, I'm Milly and t-thank you for letting me stay with y'all."

"Wheres you from Miss Milly? Youse talk awfully weird." Crutchy asked me sheepishly.

"I'm f-f-from down south. Quite a while away from here. But, I'm very tired is t-there somewhere I could change and sleep?" I asked sheepishly.

"Of course there is. Ill show ya!" Said Race, throwing his arm around me and smiling.

"I'se gonna head home. I gotta make sure Les is sleepin'. Bye boys. Bye Milly!" David yelled, as he left the room.

I let Race lead me to a Room with some stalls and sinks and changed into my brothers old clothes. I thought about wearing my nightgown, but I didn't feel comfortable with all the guys seeing me like that.

I walked out of the room and Mush showed me the bed under his and told me that I could sleep there. And as soon as I laid my head on the pillow, I was out like a light. I didn't even notice how exhausted I really was.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks for reading!

And I know it's a crappy ending, but I'm tired and it's time to move in with the story. Haha

SOOO I JUST GOT THE BEST IDEA FOR A RACETRACK FANFIC!!!

ALRIGHTY... Well urm.... Comment and vote pretty please!

Much love
-K.
XxOo