Chapter Eleven: Routine

MILLY'S POV

Everyday I would go to work with Davey, who eventually forgave Spot, and we'd sell our papes. Everyday I would think about My brother and family. But everyday I grew closer and closer to the rag-tag bunch of newsboys that I now called family. All of them were my brothers, and even though they would never replace Eric, they still loved me and I loved them.

At least every other day after selling my usual fifty papes I would say goodbye to Davey and the boys and make my way to Brooklyn. Where every time I was greeted by the Brooklyn boys with love. Every time I would be go and find Spot, usually sitting on his "perch" or maybe out in the river and every time I saw him I feel for him even more.

I'd stay there over night and the next morning I went back to my Manhattan newsies. They couldn't live without me! I was always making sure the littler ones were washed and cared for. And even doing the same for the boys my age and older. I had grown as close as possible to Davy and found myself always confiding things in him.

He knew all my secrets. The ones pertaining to the reason I am now a newsies, and to my life before that dreaded day. He knows about how deeply I feel for Spot and how I long to tell him but don't want to scare him off. I even used a word I've never used before, in the context of men.

Davey understands me, much like my older brother. In fact he reminds me more and more everyday of Eric and even though it brings a sort of remembrance and sadness, there is also an over powering joy. He has even helped me learn to limit my stutter and continues to help me control it, to the point where it is almost non-existent!

I also told all the other newsies of the Manhattan Burroughs about my past, because I just couldn't avoid it anymore. I mean when you are constantly screaming in your sleep about something so horrid and gruesome, people start to become suspicious. Though, the only time I don't dream is with Spot. Or perhaps I do dream, just of wonderful things, that are not as mind boggling and unimportant to remember.

***

"Alright Les, youse be good for Davey! Okay?" I said, bending over, placing one hand on my knee, while ruffling Les' hair.

"Okay Mills." He said and then placed a kiss on my cheek.

"Uh oh! Conlon bettah watch outs Les is movin' up in da woirld." Race said chucking and smoking his cigar.

"Les will always have a spot in my heart." I said, casually walking to the door of Tibby's.

"Bye youse guys! Bye Davey!" I waved and began to walk out of the door. I heard a multitude of warnings about being careful and watch out or myself! but I ignored them. If this was a month o so ago, I would have responded, but I was used to the city and didn't need to worry myself with pettiness.

I started humming the tunes of "My Lovey, Dovey Baby" and "That's Rich", some of Medda's biggest hits to myself as I set off on the semi long trek to Brooklyn.

I could't wait to see Spot! even though its only been two days, it's hard to not constantly feel the safety he provides, the since of assurance and how warm he makes me feel. Whenever he touches me, I never fail to feel my blood rise to my cheeks. He's all I could ever ask for and maybe even more. I never did want what my parents though was best.

I kept strolling and humming and thinking, the Brooklyn bridge now in sight.

Suddenly, as I was walking past an alleyway, I was jerked off the street with a hand flying over my mouth. In front of me stood the Queen's newsies leader, Tommy. I knew Brooklyn and Queens weren on good terms right know, and I was petrified.

"Well, well, well, looks who we got here. Just the lil' lady I'se been lookin foah. Lets see how Conlon feels about you, huh!" he spoke wickedly.

Next thing I know, glass shattered over my head and darkness encased me.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HOWDY!

I actually really enjoyed writing this! mainly, because I had 5 hours of AP IS History , Psychology honors, and theatre homework!! I definitely need a break!

COLLEGE CLASSES IN HIGH SCHOOL ARE SO HARD!!!!!

So.....urm...

QOTD: What is your favorite sweet, candy, or treat?!

Mines is Lemon bars, or Mambas (German chewy candy), or red velvet cupcakes!!! YUMMMMAYYYY

Love yas

-K.

XxOo

Ps: please comment and vote criticism welcomed!