25 || Finding The Other

Fiction

 + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Warning: strong language is used in this short

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Everyone has one.

Some refuse to accept them.

Some don't bother with them.

But not Ace.

He searches.

High and low.

Waiting for the gem

around his neck to glow.

The key to his heart and happiness.

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Ace is walking home from work tonight, due to his car being stuck in the parking lot. Why people can't park how the lines say to is beyond me? he huffs to himself. Stuffing his hands in his pockets, he continues to walk.

His job as a intern at P.J. Skyscrapers, has him in a suit and tie, in the middle of downtown. In only one of the most wary of neighborhoods. Night life is in full effect. As girls wearing skirts that leave little to the imagination and makeup that leave way too much to chance. Older men stepping out of mini vans and Subarus. As though they don't have loved ones at home. Their gems have a slight glow to them, and a wave of frustration falls over Ace.

Four years, he's been searching for his other and for years he has gone home broken hearted. These lucky assholes spend their money on girls, who haven't found there others, while there their soulmates sit at home. It's not fair. Ace sighs with irritation.

He would treat her right. He would love her. Care for her. Laugh with her. Just has his father had done with his mother. He just needs to find her. "That's half the battle," his father had said, patting Ace hard on the back. Ace's father and mother found each other on a train, going to college.

Booty Round Up, a country gentlemen's club, is just up ahead, and he can hear Save A Horse Ride A Cowboy, blaring from the entrance. He decides to look down at his feet, while passing. That's when he see's it. The faint glow of blue emanating from his gem. He stops dead in his tracks. Turning in a complete circle for any woman, but there are only old men in cowboy hats. One of which is giving him the stink eye. No! Where is she? He thinks. Soon Ace finds himself walking into Booty Round Up. The glow gets slightly brighter with each step he takes forward.

No one seems to be paying attention to their gems, and none of the women seem to be glancing around in search. "Cowboys, put your boots together for, Darla," a speaker calls. Ace turns his attention to the stage, where a purple velvet curtain is closed and a spotlight shines dead center.

None of the girls use their real names for stage and the others chose Darla for Alise. Alise has been responsible for the main entertainment for the past two months, ever since Bridget found her true love and hightailed it out of here, leaving the spot open. Alise prefers to be an entertainer as oppose to a waitress. The tips are better and she can control, who comes near her. Instead of being at the mercy of the audience. She hears Jim, make the announcement for her, and quickly straightens her tiny sequins bra, so everything is tucked away like it's suppose to be. Then, she adjusts her short shorts one last time. She is wearing her trusty boots.