2 || Fix You

> > > - - - - - - > ❤ 

Realistic Fiction

> > > - - - - - - > ❤ 

"When I am weak, you make me strong"

> > > - - - - - - > ❤ 

The sun had gone down hours ago by the time Robyn entered her home, after a long agonizing day at the office. Immediately she could tell something was off in her usually warm home. Where's Ruben? She thought, searching for the light switch. He was usually bustling around the kitchen singing and dancing to whatever song he could find on our old boom box. But tonight the lights are off and there is no music sweeping through the air. In fact, there doesn't seem to be any sound at all.

Worried, Robyn quickly began to investigate. The living room and halls were as empty as the kitchen. When she got to their shared room, a light was emanating out of the cracks in the door. Robyn turned the knob gently and opened the door, concerned about what she would find.

Peering in, she noticed everything was in its place, expect sitting on the floor with his head against her side of the bed, Robyn found Ruben. His usually perfectly gelled hair appears to have been raked through with his fingers a few dozen times. His head is leaning into his balled up fists, and his shoulders are subtly shaking. A small sound of pain comes from Ruben's direction and she can't take it any longer. Robyn goes to her husband. Getting on her knees in front of him, she sees the tear-soaked face and the strained brown eyes.

Robyn places her hands on his knees, and she waits.

Ruben realizes his wife's presence and he's ashamed that she is going to witness him like this. His Papa had always told him tears were a sign of weakness, and a man never cries in front of the woman he is meant to protect. But today. Today is different. He needs her touch of comfort. He needs her. He came into their room after getting the news with the intent of going to sleep but found himself on Robyn's side leaning against her soft patterned blanket and breaking his composure altogether.

Ruben hasn't cried since his younger brother's funeral when he was thirteen. His father didn't cry that day, but his mother did. Her tears could have been heard from the church to Parque Nacional Cabo de Hornos. His mama. He remembered with disappear. Her small form with her big personality.

Ruben felt Robyn's soft hands gently move from his knees to the sides of his face. He could feel her concern and silent plea to open his eyes, but he was afraid to see disappointment or disgust in her eyes. However, irrational that was.

Robyn gently wiped away his tears and kissed his eyelids, as Ruben would for her. She placed a kiss on his forehead as well and sprinkled messages of love down his nose. Then, pulled away still holding his handsome face in between her hands. She waited until he finally opened his eyes. They were filled with so much pain. "Who?" She whispered not wanting to disturb the quiet.

He gave her a ragged breath as he tried to compose the name. "Mi mama," he whispered back for the first time. Ruben watched the shock and horror cross Robyn's face as she processed the information. Ruben's mother, Maria, had welcomed Robyn with open arms the second he brought her to meet his family. Robyn quickly became the daughter Maria never had. Maria never cared that Robyn had zero latin blood and spoke only a handful of words in their native tongue. Maria would teach Robyn phrase to help her with their family, and how to cook traditional family recipes. Maria even helped his father accept Robyn, as well as, gave Ruben Maria's engagement ring to purpose with.