16 || I'm With You

Realistic Fiction

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

Be aware this short does deal with thoughts of suicide. 

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

"No matter how dark the moment love and hope are always possible."

-- George Chakiris

+ + + + + + + + + + + + + + +

I looked down at the fast cars, my hands tightening on the railing of the bridge. It's obvious no one cares. They would have been here by now if they did. The rain has soaked my jacket, so it is doing little to protect me from the cold winds. 

Just do it. The voice in my head speaks up. You can't even die right. Tears stream down my face mixing with the rain. I take a step over the railing, watching my footing. I'm deathly afraid of heights, so I thought it would be ironic, but I look down at those tiny cars, and my stomach lurches forward.

Maybe I shouldn't do this. No, you came here with a purpose, and you need to finish what you started, at least once. The voice argues. I take a deep breath to clear my never resting head. I let go of the railing, and feel unsteady. I should wait a moment longer, I concluded, but just then a gust of wind, hits me that's all my slippery feet need. I'm falling, my stomach drops, and screams emanate from all around me. "No," I hear someone yell, before my hand catches on something. 

It that instant survival gets in, and I cling to the hand grasping tightly to me.

"I've got you."

I can't see the face because of the rain, but soon the voice begins to slowly heave me over the railing. The person, grabs tightly to my shoulders, pulling me closer into a jacket to get warm.

I realize then it's man holding me. "Do you have somewhere to stay tonight?" He asks, earnestly.

"N-no," I stutter out, fear of the events slipping into my mind. He picks me up bridal style and beings walking. 

"I'm Liam by the way. I promise, you are safe. In my back pocket is a police badge, but I'm off duty," he smiled easily, looking at me. His hazel eyes, and wide smile being all I can make out on his face.

"Why do you carry your badge with you when your off duty?"

"I was heading home from work, when I came across you," he answered with ease.

"Where are you taking me?"

"If you don't mind, I am heading home, and you are coming as a guest. I have a spare room you can take."

"Why would you do that for someone like me?" I ask still shaky.

He quirked an eyebrow, "Why wouldn't I?"

He continues to carry me until we arrive at an apartment building, somehow he managed to get the door open without putting me down. Setting me down on a tattered brown couch. "Would you like anything to drink?"

I shake my head no, letting my hair fall across my face.

"What's your name?"

"Briar."

"Well, Briar, do you want to talk about it?" My eyes instantly go to his, and a look of fear is on me. "We don't have to if you don't want to," he reasoned. "Would you like me to tell you a little more about myself?" I simply nod. "I'm twenty-four, born and raised in here, and joined the police academe right out of high school. Mom passed away when I was seven. I had a dog named Toby when I was nine. I'm afraid of snakes. Cotton balls make me cringe, and I watch old sitcoms for fun. Anything else you would like to know?"