Chapter 15: A Thousand Years?

Swords clashed against swords and shields. Loki, Sif, and the Warriors Three were training in the courtyard while teaching Kelsey the basics. Sif provided Kelsey with a tad heavy armor for her and even lent her a short, ruffle skirt and leggings to run around instead of tripping in a long dress.

"You must keep your arm up," Sif instructed, swinging her sword against Kelsey's.

"I'm trying, but this sword is too heavy," Kelsey grunted, dropping the shield to hold the sword with two hands instead of one. When Sif clashed against Kelsey's sword, Kelsey dropped it and quickly jumped back to keep a safe distance from the blade. How the Asgardians could tolerate the weight of these weapons remained a mystery to Kelsey. Swinging the sword was like swinging a dumbbell.

"Maybe sword training isn't what Kelsey needs, Sif," Fandral suggested, sheathing his sword. "I am sure her world does not use weapons as we do anymore."

"No," Kelsey agreed, massaging her sore, shaky forearms. "we only use firepower and combat training."

"That is exactly what you need!" Volstagg spoke up, lifting his finger at her.

Kelsey perked up at his words, stretching her arms and mentally preparing for the lessons, "I'm in. Are you going to teach me?"

"No," Loki spoke up, standing behind Kelsey to peer over Volstagg with an amused smirk. "Volstagg won't be teaching you. He is much better with an ax rather than his lard belly."

Uh-oh. Kelsey raised her brows briefly before she pressed her lips together to hide the nervous smile. A breathy laugh escaped through her nose, preventing the noise from coming out. Once again, she wasn't prepared for Loki's choice of words. This wasn't funny, and everybody knew it.

"I beg your pardon, Loki," Volstagg asked, his grin slackened slightly.

"Oh, did I offend you, Volstagg?" Loki blinked and put his hand on his chest. "Forgive me, my friend. I meant no disrespect." Volstagg raised a brow, debating whether or not the god of mischief meant it. "I hear you express yourself with the synonymous description repeatedly. I figured it was alright to say it - my mistake." Kelsey breathed out through her mouth in relief. It was good that he apologized. However, most of the group didn't believe the sincerity.

Volstagg scoffed and dismissed the apology with a wholehearted grin, "No need to fret, my mischievous friend. I know I have gained a few pounds," Volstagg patted his stomach to prove a point, "and I may not have your stamina and size. Although, I do have the muscle and the axe to kick your arse."

The rest of the group snickered or smirked at Volstagg's comeback, ignoring the trickster's fallen reaction. Kelsey grinned on the outside, but on the inside, she thought, 'Uh-oh. Here we go.' She could almost hear the bell ring in her mind whenever a wrestling match was about to begin.

"Perhaps," Loki agreed, "though not nearly as strong as Thor and his bloody hammer, isn't that right, Sif?" He smirked at the raven-haired goddess, who silently narrowed her eyes at him.

Uh-oh. Kelsey could see where the line was drawn among the group. A part of her didn't want to be here to witness this altercation. At least Loki wasn't taking a jab at her - his friend. She didn't understand why Loki wanted to belittle each one; they didn't do anything wrong today.

As far as she knew.

"And what of you, Loki?" Hogun challenged. "What do you have to offer?"

"I studied magic and capoeira."

Kelsey furrowed her brows at Loki questionably, "Capoeira?"

"It's a fighting style," Fandral explained, rolling his eyes.