(OLD) Chapter 4

Note: Lovely edit today by exposures! I love seeing the new sayings in edits nowadays. There have been some edits for Chemeray's new movie Onward Train, and even some for Wes Tegg's after my "ALL WE EVER DO IN THIS BOOK IS GET COFFEE" existential crisis. I love you.

PREVIOUSLY ON THE CLASSIX: Norax has announced that there will be new Famoux members for all of the Famoux members. Does that mean replacements? Back up plans? That's what I've been seeing in the comments. Let's find out, shall we?

emeray

Before any of us can say a word, Kaytee pushes back her chair, rising so quick and panicked it's like she's been set on fire. Her hair swoops up from the movement before landing wild on her shoulders, matching her expression twofold.

At this, Norax's eyes widen like saucers, startled––as if any part of what she just said wasn't worthy of such a reaction.

"What's the matter?" she poses.

I expect a roar, an animalistic discharge from such a hysterical rise from the table, but Kaytee only hesitates, wringing her hands in front of her coat. The heat coming off her in this moment reaches me from my seat. She can't figure out what to say; none of us can. What Norax has just announced could mean anything and everything and the biggest thing we've been dreading:

Change.

Our leader and manager takes the silent moment to smooth out a wrinkle on her shirt, gaining more composure. Just witnessing the way she disregards our alarm like it somehow shouldn't exist makes me want to throw up that awful vanilla latte Cartney ordered for me this afternoon.

"Dear," she starts. "You seem troubled. What's the mat––"

But she doesn't have enough time to finish her question before Kaytee McKarrington fractures like a bone.

"Yes, I'm troubled," she says. Shouts. "What the hell does this mean? Getting these people to come in so we can train them––what, so they can take our place when DEFED decides to kill the rest of us?"

"Kaytee––"

"Or is it because everyone hates us and you want to just replace us before the world stops talking about the Famoux at all? Is that it?"

"Kaytee, dear––" Norax reaches out to her, but Kaytee steps back from her reach. "Kaytee, please, hear me."

"I hear you. You're getting rid of us."

"Please, dear I would never simply get rid of you."

"Then what is this? What would we be mentoring them for if it's not ultimately to take our places?"

"It's not about taking your place, it's about joining you." Norax picks up her folder again, flipping to a page with plans. "It's about breaking a few of those barriers people have put up around the Famoux. We've been placed on pedestals since we started, and I think that's begun to create a disconnect between you and your audience."

"I thought we liked the disconnect. Being superior. That's what you said we'd get before we went into the Fissarex, remember?"

"You're still superior, of course, but we need to remind people that we're human and we're welcoming. If we were to step down from our higher place and let others into the Famoux, well, I feel like that could reap many benefits."

"So not just a single replacement for Foster," Chapter says, "but five?"

"That's if we only make you choose one of your options," she replies. "We're still deciding what's the best number. There's also the option of choosing some fans for Foster, out of respect and remembrance. A few of you would have to pull double duty in the mentoring, however, if we were to do that."