(OLD) Chapter 17

Note: So I'm on my way to New York right now. I'm seriously considering exhausting all possible means to sneak my way into Hamilton, because I just discovered the soundtrack and properly accepted the hype. I'd been listening to a playlist and I was like, "Oh my GOD, what is this fantastic new song????" and just before I could check my phone the song went, "HAMILTON FACES AN ENDLESS UPHILL CLIMB" and I started screaming.

But anyway.

PREVIOUSLY ON THE CLASSIX: Lex totally interrogated Emeray, hinting toward a secret relationship with Chapter. Hmmmmm. Also, the Classix and Fanatix have their interview with Ansel scheduled for, well, today.

emeray

As the van slowly make its way down the street, I'm able to catch a glimpse of one of the signs for Ansel's broadcast. Traffic at this time of evening is nearly in gridlock, but yet again, the streets are almost always in gridlock when the Famoux are traveling. We're not too hard to find; since there are so many of us now, we've graduated from big black car to big black van, and the overwhelming amount of police cars bordering us might as well be stamping the Famoux symbol on us with spotlights.

The signs for the interview tonight, like mine were, are generally obscure. Against a matte black background are six glossy, golden silhouettes for Sam, Sarah, Lacey, Lex, Elle, and Gerald. Beneath them, a statement:

FRESH NEW FACES, DIPPED IN GOLD.

COME MEET THEM, TONIGHT AT SIX.

ANSEL ON EIGHTEEN.

For the entire day we've been holed up in the Metropolix prepping for the interview, too busy going through test questions to selecting our wardrobes to get updated on how people are responding. The Classix and I were strictly advised not to visit the Analytix, for fear that a Fanatix member might follow us in and start asking questions.

Without that window into the world, we haven't been able to hear any direct feedback about the broadcast tonight. Being so totally disconnected from everything like that makes me feel bizarre. On the drive up to Ansel's studio, Norax plays Analytix for us and fills everyone in on how the world has been buzzing for the whole day about the propensity of new members.

According to several news stations, the possibilities for tonight's interview are endless. Some believe Foster is making a grand reappearance with Bree. Some insist, just as Kaytee originally assumed when we first learned about the Fanatix, that we're all getting replaced for a fresh set of members entirely. Others predict that we are simply introducing new additions into the Famoux, just as random as I was. This final rumor is the most popular, especially since the parents of Till's member Sarah, apparently too delighted and impatient to stay quiet any longer, went totally against their nondisclosure agreement and blabbed to a couple friends about how their daughter is becoming a Famoux member!!!! Their seemingly private announcement has since gone viral in Betnedoor, in Eldae, in Notness, everywhere.

"We're really lucky that the interview with Ansel is tonight," Norax tells Sarah, who cannot stop profusely apologizing from one of the backseats. "Otherwise this privacy breach would be a real issue."

Sarah sighs, exasperated. "Norax, I'm so sorry," she says for the thousandth time. I can see tears forming in her eyes. "I didn't ask for them to do that, they just––they have trouble keeping things in when they have something to brag about."

"Hey, it could be worse," Gerald tells her. He nudges my arm, smirking. "Remember how you were supposed to be announced to the world after Bree's gala? That definitely didn't happen."