(2ND DRAFT) chapter EIGHT

Note: I am so sorry for how long it's been. Not being able to post for you honestly tears me up inside. Yesterday night I was so, so especially stressed out about it, because the last thing I want is for you to think I'm out here living it up and ignoring you. No––all I want to do is write for you!!! If I had the means to post once a day, I would be doing it!!!! And the fact that I get so busy some weeks and, because I hate posting meaningless fluff chapters, don't have the time to make anything cool and awesome for you––well, like I said, that literally tears me up.

Thank you for sticking with me. Writing in high school was definitely much easier than college, but nonetheless I am never ever leaving you. EVER. I won't stop until I'm in so many bookstores that I start evading your life not only on your devices, but EVERYWHERE.

 I won't stop until I'm in so many bookstores that I start evading your life not only on your devices, but EVERYWHERE

Okay, enough of me making myself more emotional. Let's begin.

PREVIOUSLY ON THE CLASSIX: Emeray and Gerald were just talking, and he told her she's actually super sheltered and that Norax purposefully makes her distracted sometimes so she forgets other things. For example: Her brother. Where the hell is her brother!?! Oh, that's right, Norax made her more focused on the whole dating contract thing. Hmmm. Also, Emeray is still in that weird eerie building on the edge of the city. We're all creeped out and confused about it. Let's find out why she's here, shall we?????

EMERAY

    The only thing on my mind when Gerald leaves the room is Dalton Parvenu. My brother. My brother. Before the Darkening, when I saw his face on those signs . . . I––I threw a fit. And then I just forgot. How did Norax actually succeed in doing that––in making me forget all about something I'd been so steadily focused on?

    My stomach delves deeper in its unsettlement as Gerald's words come back to me: When Norax has a celebrity as popular as you and Cartney are at the moment, she's going to make you focus on that part, and only that part of your life as much as possible.

    He isn't wrong. When I'm not on set filming, my life is literally centered around my coffee dates with Cartney. Not on where my brother is. Not on how the other members might be perceiving me. Not on anything, anything other than what the world might be thinking of the way we're holding hands.

    It makes me think: What else has Norax made me forget about?

    Dalton's name is perched on my lips when I dash through the doors to the other room. I'm ready to scream it out the moment I lock eyes with Norax, but much to my dismay, she isn't there at all. Instead, I'm greeted by the confused and slightly surprised faces of Kaytee and Till, who are seated at a long metal table with four empty chairs.

    "Oh," Kaytee says.

    "Hey," Till says.

    "Hi," I say.

    And then there's silence.

    A lifetime seems to pass by as Kaytee lifts up her chin, peering over at me in a way that seems to shrink me down to the size of a toddler. I get the urge to apologize for causing an disturbance simply in walking in, in existing. It feels like I've just joined the Famoux all over again––the way I'm suddenly nervous to do anything that might even slightly disrupt the perfect lives being lived out before me.