8. La Verdad

Only enemies speak the truth; friends and lovers lie endlessly, caught in the web of duty. ~Stephen King

I stared at Daemon and then back to Angelo confused.

"What is he talking about Angelo?" I asked, my brows furrowing.

We were back in the narrow dimly lit hallway that we wandered in for hours. The tension in this place was high with Angelo staring at Daemon coldly, his warm hazel eyes enflamed in anger. Meanwhile, Daemon smirked in amusement, as if divulging this information has just made things interesting for him.

"I'll explain later," Angelo replied icily.

Turning to Daemon, I told him, "You will let us go. We won."

Daemon's lips curved into a small grin.

"Of course, I promised to play fair."

Angelo grabbed my hand and pushed past Daemon. Brittany trailed behind me, holding my other hand. He continued to drag me down the intertwining hallways that our brisk jog turned into a full on sprint.

"Angelo, slow down!" I wheezed.

"Slow down, idiot!" Brittany wailed.

I have never seen this side of Angelo before. He was different than his usual warm and laid back self. Right now he was tense, his jaw clenched as we sprinted past the hallway rimmed with pictures. His grip on my hand was so tight that it became numb from the lack of circulation.

"We need to hurry now, or else Daemon will make it harder for us to leave." He muttered under his breath.

I didn't understand what he was saying until I saw them before the hallway was plunged into darkness. I was afraid of the dark, I never liked being in it too long. My chest squeezed and I knew I was going to have another panic attack. The people wandering around the hallway reminded me of a scene from Insidious. A little girl was sitting to my right with chin on her knees; a soft demented smile was plastered on her face. More of these ghosts began to gather behind me. Some of them wore clothes from centuries ago before my time that I wondered if this was hell really is like.

A soft squeeze and a tug on my hand from Angelo and a scream from Brittany brought me back from my reverie and pulled me away from the reaching hands of the dead.

Okay, it really was time to go.

Brittany ran ahead of us, making me wish I did Track and Field because I couldn't run any faster than I am now.

A nagging voice in my head told me not to trust Angelo which was rare because I have always trusted him. How will I know if he's leading us the way out of the Nether Realm? Daemon is his brother? Did that mean Daemon was human before he became the demon himself? So many questions swam in my head before a question slipped out of Brittany's lips, "If Daemon doesn't want us to leave this place, why didn't he stop us?"