39. Ambush

Another update for tonight guys!!!! Man, I'm on a roll to finish this entire book! I hope I do get to finish and prep for my next work for next year >

Another update for tonight guys!!!! Man, I'm on a roll to finish this entire book! I hope I do get to finish and prep for my next work for next year >.< I hope you enjoy this chapter guys!

(Fake Love x Sneakin' X Normani Kordei Mashup Cover)

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A tug and a pull was all it took for me to reach the surface again. My head lolled to the side before large hands forced them to face the ceiling. Lips crashed against mines as they pumped air into my lungs. I let out a loud gasp and coughed the water that entered my lungs.

My eyes slowly opened only to see Daemon's worried face staring down at me. His hair was wet from pulling me out of the pool and shirtless. His lips crashed into mine once more, his tongue dominating my mouth as if he was scared that he almost lost me.

"How could you?" he said incredulously.

"I almost lost you, you stupid girl." If it weren't for my hazy vision, I could've sworn a tear fell from the Demon King's eye.

He cradled my head against his arm, and this was all I could say to him. "I'm dead, aren't I?"

"I lost the game." I said sadly.

His body tensed from beneath me. "No," he said, "You didn't lose the game." I looked at him questioningly.

"You won the game."

Daemon looked away. I could tell he was disappointed. But it hurt to know that he was because he wanted me to lose. Yet, I was also relieved that none of it was real.

My friends didn't betray me.

I looked around and we weren't in my high school anymore. We were in the same place he took me when he showed me the stone that has his name etched permanently. Next to us, his name glowed a golden hue against the dark stone.

"Chinvat." he muttered as if he answered my question on where we are.

We were in Chinvat. The bridge between Earth and the Nether Realm. "You wanted to die. Why?" Daemon asked me.

I sat up and put my hand on his arm. "I didn't want to." I admitted. "I was so scared but in order for my loved ones to live and to maintain the balance between Heaven and the Nether Realm, I need to let go of my selfish instincts and sacrifice myself for everyone's happiness."

"What about my happiness?" Daemon interjected his blue eyes flashing with anger.

"What am I going to do when you die and you become just an empty soul in my kingdom?" he continued, his voice raising at each word that he said.

"Many souls have died and entered my realm, but you..." he paused. "If you died, I would never be able to recover from that loss."

I looked away from him not knowing what to say.

With pure sadness and pain Daemon struggled to say the next few words. "I've freed all the souls you need as part of our game. So..." he cleared his throat. "Go. You're free."

We both stood up and went our separate ways. The other side of the door was the path back to Earth. I turned around and ran up to Daemon.

"Wait." I told him.

I love you. I was dying to say. But I was a coward, because it's impossible for us to be together.

"Thank you." I said instead, hugging him around his waist, my head resting on his naked chest. He didn't move at first, but he later wrapped his arms around me and inhaled my scent. He pulled me against his body tightly as if he never wanted to let me go.

But his words betrayed his actions.

"Go, before I change my mind." he said to me.

I pulled away from him slowly. I didn't want to let him go, but I have to because as the Bridal Fruit, I have to make my decision soon.

"Daemon, I -" before I could say the words I wanted to say, a voice interrupted me.

"Well, well, look who's still alive." a feminine voice said.

Minerva, the leader of Medio Terrae stood with confidence along with her soldiers. I was surprised on how she was able to enter Chinvat. The side of her head was still bandaged meaning that the ear that Daemon cut off was still healing.

"Leave, before I decide to obliterate your entire clan." Daemon threatened the group.

Minerva let out a cruel laugh. "We're not here for you, demon king. We're here for her." She pointed her bony finger at me.

"She's not going anywhere with you." A familiar voice said from behind them. Angelo appeared before us as he unfurled his glorious wings and flew above Minerva and the rest of Medio Terrae.

He landed in front of me and pushed me behind him. Daemon did the same as he blocked my vision of Minerva by pushing me behind him to protect me.

An angel and a demon used themselves as a barrier to protect me.

"What do you want from me?" I asked her.

Minerva rolled her eyes and laughed. "I want you to die and to never be born again."

"You haven't chosen between the two of them yet, have you?" she presumed, her eyes moving back and forth between the two men that love me.

Looking at the shiny golden watch on her wrist, she tsked. "You only have an hour left to choose, which give him enough time to," she paused staring at Angelo straight in the eye. "kill you."

Daemon's eyes widened when he realized the secret message that passed between Minerva and Angelo. Grabbing me by the arm, he pulled close and raised his palms up as a red pulsing light emitted from his hand.

"Move and I'll kill you." Daemon glared at Angelo.

"You traitor." he spat.

I was confused. "Daemon, Angelo's on our side. What are you doing?" I tried pushing Daemon's hand down but he refused and maintained his stance.

I pulled away from Daemon and walked towards Angelo. Daemon tried to pull me back by the back of my shirt but it was too late. An arrow punctured my arm. I collapsed on the floor, stars clouding my vision.

Daemon called out my name, but I couldn't answer. I was looking at Angelo's expression when I was shot. His face was expressionless.

It's as if he didn't care that I was hurt.

"You're with them." I said, realization dawning inside of me.

The corner of his mouth pulled up to an evil grin crushing my heart once again.

"You're right. I've been their ally the entire time."

Please don't forget to comment what you think, vote, and share this story to your friends!

Xoxo,

Angelique <3