9. Ayperos

"Bad news isn't wine, it doesn't improve with age

"Bad news isn't wine, it doesn't improve with age." ~Colin Powell

"My name was Ayperos, and I ruled alongside Daemon. The Nether Realm was as beautiful as heaven. It was a never ending night filled with stars strewn across the night sky." Angelo recalled in a dream like state.

"My older brother Daemon sent me on an errand to retrieve souls that 'refused' to let go." He chuckled at the thought.

"I've never been on Earth. To say, that I was excited was an understatement."

"Once I arrived, I was blinded by a bright light. I soon realized that was the Sun. I was used to the comforting chill of the Nether Realm that this new feeling I've never experienced before, took over my entire being. Hope is what humans called it. I guess you could say, the poor devil I once was craved for the light in his dark and lonely world."

"I...finished all my errands that I was told to do. I didn't realize that the souls Daemon wanted me to retrieve were the souls of children. They didn't refuse to let go, it was just not their time yet. I had the power to see into the future of the souls that we're doomed in the Nether Realm and what I saw within the future of these children were important. Some could have grown up to cure a disease, remove oppression and hate in this world, and turn other souls to our enemy in Heaven; God."

He paused, his features changing into a grimace as if this memory haunted him the most. "Daemon wanted to avoid any children who will bring good into this world from living. And like a fool, I trusted my brother blindly. I returned to Earth to pretend I'm taking more souls for Daemon when I'm actually meeting with an angel who will purify me and turn me into one of them."

Angelo ran his hands through his hair again. "Daemon saw it as a betrayal when he looked from the bottom of the Nether Realms abyss while I flew with Heaven's ethereal Angels. Instead of taking the souls of the innocent, I was assigned to protect the souls instead."

He took my hands into his and continued with his story, "I'm your guardian angel. Your life is valuable in this world. I've seen the great things you will do in the future." His words were so strong that I almost believed him. I pulled my hands away, worried of what future he saw.

"And what future would that be?" I asked him.

Lifting my chin with one finger, I met his hazel eyes with my dark ones.

"Your soul is the last thing Daemon needs to become powerful and destroy the balance of power between Heaven and the Nether Realm."

"And why is my soul so important?" I looked away, my head pounding in pain.

"So important that whose side you'll choose will make that side powerful. Your soul can make Daemon powerful because it's no ordinary soul. Blessed by Heaven, your soul can strengthen anyone. In order to fully possess the strength many creatures in the Nether Realm crave, you must die." Angelo replied, his voice fell to a whisper when he uttered the last few words.