Like a Deer Caught in the Headlights

Maddison's POV

Boy was I nervous!
I barely ate anything this morning due to the nervousness building up inside me
Heck, I didn't even talk as much as I normally did today...

I just simply followed Xavier and the lady from the reception to the conference room, holding the laptop firmly against my chest, as she left, Xavier touched my arm,

"You okay?" he asked, concern evident in his voice.

"Y-yeah... Just a little nervous" I laughed nervously as I looked back down at my feet.

I saw Xavier's hand reach up to pull the door open for us out of the corner of my eye, but it opened and someone else walked out.

"Oh hey Xavier! Sorry man I didn't see you there"

No...
Not that voice!
It can't be him!
Not after all these years...

"Hey Jake! It's been long!" Xavier chuckled.

Jake?
Well there isn't one Jake in the whole world...
It's not necessarily him...
Why him after all these years?

"Who's this?"

I could feel eyes upon me as I slowly looked up.

Please don't be him
Please don't be him
Please don't be him

"Oh this is my new secretary-"

It was him.
I knew it was him when my eyes met his light grey ones.

"Maddison"

The name sounded foreign to me.
It brought back memories.
Good ones
And then the bad ones...

"Jacob" I whispered, my eyes refusing to meet his.

After what seemed like eternity, Xavier spoke.

"We should go" Xavier said as he cleared his throat, placing his hand on the small of my back slowly pushing me inside.

"Sit down here. Just type out the important things on the laptop" he whispered.

The meeting went by slowly everytime Jacob spoke, I blinked really fast to stop the tears from flowing out. I didn't look up throughout the whole meeting. I kept my head low, looking at the laptop screen, but I could feel his gaze on my every move. Xavier occasionally glanced at me to make sure I was alright.

He knows something is wrong...
How could he know? I never told him about Jacob!

"This comes to the end of our meeting. Thank you for your presentations and we shall meet again soon"

I slowly closed the laptop screen and almost immediately, my eyes met with his.

"Do we have anymore meetings to attend?" I whispered to Xavier once we were outside.

"No... Not until after lunch" He frowned. "Are you sure you're okay?"

"Actually I'm not feeling that good so I'm just going to go back for a while" I smiled, blinking back tears. Without giving him a chance to respond, I walked back as quickly as I could to the room.

"Maddison wait!" I heard Jacob call after me

Hearing his voice made me walk faster, until I was eventually running. Just as I was about to reach the room, I felt his hand grab my arm from behind, forcing me to look into his eyes.

He looked the same.
The same black hair that fell onto his eyes.
The same smile that used to make my heart flutter
And those same eyes that conveyed so many unspoken emotions...