Like a Skunk's Bottom

Maddison's POV

What is this doing in his wallet?
Why does he still have this?
Why does he keep doing this to me?

The sound of the door opening brought me out of my thoughts.

"Hey" he said as he sent me a small smile.

"Hey" said as I looked down at my fingers, refusing to make eye contact.

"Jake why do you still have it?"

"What?" He asked, looking bewildered.

"The picture... The picture of us Jake. Why do you still have it inside your wallet?" I asked, as I finally looked into his eyes, with my voice cracking.

Stay strong.
Don't break in front of him...

He looked like he was having a argument with himself internally. I waited, refusing to look away.

It took every inch of fiber on my body to stay like that, and not look away.

"I've always kept it sweetheart. I never let go of it. It stayed with me since the day it was taken" he replied.

I tried searching his eyes for any sign of humor, but all I found was sincerity.

No... Not again.
Don't believe him again... Because you'll just end up getting hurt... Again.

"Well then, good for you" I said as I quickly blinked back tears that were threatening to fall anytime.

"Come on Maddie, you know there's still a part of you that loves me"

Was there really?

"Jake, we were over a long time ago. It's best you just... Stay away from me" I sighed as I walked past him, toward the door.

"Mads, you don't even know the truth, so why won't you just listen to me?" He pleaded as he grabbed my wrist.

"Let go of me" I said slowly, emphasizing every word.

"No. Not until you've heard the truth" he said as he tightened his grip on my arm.

"Jacob please-"

"I'm going to make you listen if it's the last fucking thing I do Maddison"

Please don't let him see me going weak in front of him...
Where is Xavier?

"Maddison look, I do admit, I did stupid things. I was wrong, but when you left, I realized exactly how much you meant to me, and I still love you"

What?
He still loves me?
No no no!
This wasn't supposed to happen!

"W-well I don't" I replied.

"Maddison, for once, be true to yourself" he chuckled.

"What is going on here?" I turned to see a frowning Xavier standing at the door.

Almost immediately, Jacob's grip loosened around my arm, and I ran toward Xavier, flinging my arms around him.

"You okay Sunshine?" Xavier whispered as he hesitantly hugged me back.