New Beginnings

Maddison's POV

2 months later...

The funny thing about heartbreaks, is when our heart breaks, it is because it has edges and boundaries; when something painful happens, it has nothing to do, but to break. But heartbreak can grow and soften our heart if we let it. A small heart cannot hold much, but a big heart can hold much more. Our heart can in fact grow to become limitless and hold all that comes in life, even the most painful things.

Everyone says 'forget about him' and 'he didn't deserve you' but it's not that easy to forget someone who made a mark on your heart. It's not that easy to forget someone who made so many promises and just broke them all within a span of a few minutes

I smiled at the elderly woman in the garden next to mine as I transferred the bag of groceries that I held in my arms from one arm to another.

"Good morning dear" she smiled at me.

"Morning Ida" I smiled.

"You're you feeling today?"

"Much better... How is Jim?"

"Grumpy as usual" she chuckled as she continued to water her plants.

I moved to the countryside a month and a half ago. I had to get away from the city. Away from him. Ryan had a house here that he let me live in, so I didn't unnecessarily have to buy my own. Ally, Ryan, Jason, my parents, Maya... They came time and again to visit me. I told them about everything on the condition that no one would tell Xavier where I was.

I found a job working at a small bakery. The income wasn't much, but at least it was something. Most people seemed to mind their own business, which was great. My next door neighbours were a cute elderly couple in their late sixties, Ida and Jim. They had been living here for the past forty years, while their children worked and lived in the city.

Ida had become like a second mother to me, constantly worrying about me whenever I left the house. Her and Jim were the only ones who knew what had happened with Xavier and I. The other people just assumed my husband worked in the city or I was a widow or something like that.

"How was the bakery?"

"Good... I'm a little tired but I'll be fine. You still coming over in the afternoon?"

It had become a little thing of ours. Every Tuesday when Jim went out to play cards, Ida would come over and the two of us would sit together and have little snacks that I'd picked up from the bakery earlier.

"Wouldn't miss it for the world" She smiled warmly at me. "Now go rest! The baby needs it!"

I chuckled as I unlocked my door, and sent her one final wave, before stepping inside and closing the door behind me. After unloading all the groceries, I went upstairs to my bedroom. I could still climb up the stairs but very soon I'd have to move because it wouldn't be safe anymore.

I sighed as I looked at my reflection in the mirror. The woman before me looked so different compared to what she used to look like a few months ago.

"I love your hair" He mumbled as he played with it.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah. Promise me you'll never change it. I love the colour, it matches your eyes"

"I promise"

"Good. Because I have a thing for brunettes with beautiful eyes which match their hair" He laughed richly.

"Is that so?" I pulled away and raised an eyebrow.

"Yup"

"Well then I might as well cut my hair and dye it another colour. Don't want my boss to fall for me. What do you think of a strawberry blonde bob cut?"