Getting Her Back

Xavier's POV

Yes. I was engaged the whole time. It was a very private matter. No one really knew about it. But I didn't love her. Heck I didn't even like her! For me, it was a business transaction. For her, it was publicity.

Stella Volkov was the only child of the Russian billionaire, Kirill Volkov. She was beyond spoilt and completely obnoxious. I often wondered how even her own family could stand her. The contract was simple. We would stay married for a year. In that one year, all Kirill's businesses would be under my name, and after that year was complete, we'd get a divorce. While I got businesses and money, Stella would get something she'd normally never be able to get otherwise- the worlds most eligible bachelor- me.

Everything was going fine until she showed up out of nowhere. To me, life before meeting Maddison was simple. Just earn money and stay happy. I used to believe that money could make anyone happy. It could buy everything you wanted. Even relationships.

From the minute that woman threw a cup of coffee at me, I knew she was something else. She had guts. I had to give it to her. Despite knowing I was her boss, even after that she would back answer and ignore me. She was a complete breath of fresh air. I never even knew I was suffocating until I met her.

I knew she was different but I still thought that ultimately she would be like everyone else- selfish. The day she saved my sister and niece, I knew I had been wrong. And that's when I started paying attention to the things she said and did and I realised that she was one of the rare ones, so effortlessly herself, and the world loved her for it.

The more I got to know her, the more I realised how much she used to hurt. Her smile was like her armour and everyday, she went to war.

I never planned on falling in love with her. If you actually asked me a year and a half ago if I would fall in love with Maddison Green, I would've laughed at you and bet you a million dollars I wouldn't.

Yet, that woman was the only woman who made me cry because I genuinely felt guilt and pain. I always thought I'd tell her sometime but I never got around to doing so. I was such a coward, hoping she'd never find out but I knew at the back of my mind that she would. I hoped I could send the Volkovs a letter saying the deal was off, but it was too late.

I never knew that one woman would have such a big impact on me. The day she found out, I saw the sadness in her eyes but I didn't know what to say. I couldn't think of anything to say that could take her pain away. I just kept on saying 'I'm so sorry I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry' in my head.

After she left, I was a complete mess. I didn't know what to do or where to look. I hired so many private investigators but none of them could find her. I would work like crazy during the day and spend my nights drowning myself in alcohol, hoping to forget.

Even now, everytime I closed my eyes, I would imagine her smiling face, beautiful chocolate eyes and rosy cheeks. I missed her more than anything. I visited everyone she was close to, pleading with them to tell me her whereabouts but no one did. I chuckled as I looked at the glass of whiskey in my hand as I replayed the conversation between Maya and myself.

"What do you want Xavier?" She narrowed her eyes at me.

"Maya please! Please just tell me where she is! I know I screwed up really badly but I just want to put things right. I want Maddison back. Please just-"

"Look Xavier, I'm going to be real frank with you. If you can't love her completely, then the leave her the fuck alone! At some point you just have to realise that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life"