Chapter Thirteen

Enjolras and I burst through the doors of the Café Musain and into the street as we try to catch up with the rest of the boys, but they are out of sight. The streets are bustling with people – Enjolras has picked a good day to spread the word! Streets full of people means lots of people to join our cause. I try standing on my toes to try and see over the sea of hats and bonnets, and attempt to look through the gaps in the mass of moving people, but can't find our boys anywhere.

"Can you see them?" I ask Enjolras, unable to hide the slight worry that's creeping into my voice. But somehow, I'm not panicking. There's something strangely comforting about having Enjolras by my side – I feel protected. I feel safe.

"No...but they can't have gone far..." He answers as he looks around at the crowd. "Here!" He reaches out his hand to me, and I just stare at it, and then at him, and then back at his hand.

"Burgundy Boy, really?" I fold my arms and playfully raise an eyebrow.

"Now is not the time for your sass!" He raises an eyebrow back, trying to keep his cool, but there's an authority in his voice that tells me that he is not to be messed with. "Just take my hand!" He reaches his hand out further towards me.

"Do you say that to all the girls?" I joke. "I mean, what are people going to think if they see us together...in the street...holding hands?!" I dramatically gasp mockingly, laughing at myself in pride at my last joke. Losing all patience, he grabs my hand and locks it in his.

"I'm not losing you, Pontmercy!" He announces seriously, looking me straight in the eye before starting to push his way through the crowd, pulling me behind him.

"I'm not a sack of potatoes, Burgundy Boy!" I growl as I struggle to keep up with him, still being dragged by Enjolras.

"I know...a sack of potatoes would be more cooperative!" He yells back at me over the noise of the crowds around us. "It wouldn't talk as much either!"

"Hey!" I shout. "Take that back!"

"No!" He replies, a smug look on his face as he continues to lead me through the busy streets. I dig my heels into the ground and grab onto his arm, pulling on it in an attempt to stop him from taking me any further. "Oh! So you're just stopping now? That's mature!" He rolls his eyes.

"You're not being very nice, Burgundy Boy!" I fold my arms in defiance. "I'm not going anywhere until you take back what you said!"

"Well I'll just go on without you!" He says, turning his back on me and taking a step forward.

"You can't!" I shout after him, making him stop in his tracks and turn back around to face me. "You promised my brother you'd keep me safe. You promised my brother, and you promised the boys. And you promised me. And you said yourself that you don't want me getting hurt –"

"Well you're not making it very easy!" He answers, starting to look a little exasperated.

"Take back what you said, and I'll go with you...it's an easy solution, Enjolras!" I reply. He just looks at me, and then at the ground, and the back at me. He places his hands on his hips and bites on his bottom lip – I can tell this is killing him inside. "I'm waiting..." I try to hide my smirk.

"I take back what I said...I'm sorry. You're not like a potato. I mean...I guess you're at least prettier than a sack of potatoes..." He mumbles.

"I'm sorry, what was that?" I playfully lean forward and hold my hand to my ear, as if I hadn't heard him.

"I said you're prettier than a potato!" He blurts.

"I guess there's a compliment in there somewhere..." I smirk.

"Can we go now?" He holds out his hand, willing me to take it. I nod and put my hand in his. As we walk along at a fast pace, a smile works its way across my face and I start to giggle to myself.

"What are you laughing at?" Enjolras looks at me, an amused, yet confused, look on his face.

"...You called me pretty!" I let out a small smile, and his cheeks turn red.

"Enjolras!" We hear a voice shout. Enjolras' head snaps up to look over the crowd.

"Found them!" Enjolras announces as he pushes through the crowds, careful not to let go of my hand. The boys stand on a wooden platform in the middle of the street. Without warning, Enjolras places a hand around my waist and bends down to reach my leg.

"Hey!" I jump back, startled. "What are you doing?"

"Lifting you up!" He answers like I just asked a stupid question.

"Why?" I ask, though it comes out as more of a scream when he scoops me into his arms.

"You're one of us..." He says matter-of-factly as he places me down on the platform, and I brush my dress off as I try to remain calm. "Now, if you're quite done panicking...we've got some business to attend to..." He takes a deep breath and looks around the group. "Gentlemen, shall we?" And with that, Enjolras turns to face the crowd that has gathered around the platform, ready to hear what he has to say. Enjolras starts to talk, but the sound of his voice is muffled in my ears as I take in the faces of the crowd. So many different kinds of people. So many people for us to reach. I scan the crowd, and my eyes fall on a familiar face. Immediately, I step to the side and step off the platform and onto the pavement.

"Jules...where are you going?" Marius whispers, grabbing my arm.

"I'll be right back...I promise. I've just seen an old friend..."