Chapter Twenty-Nine

Enjolras walks me home, making sure that I'm home in time for dinner with my Grandfather and Aunt so as not to raise suspicion, and kisses me outside the gate of the grounds.

"I'm not ready to say goodnight", Enjolras says bashfully yet tenderly. I stand looking at him – his facial expression, the way he's holding me, the way he's looking at me. Never in a million years would I have thought that we'd be stood here like this, and that Enjolras would look at me in this way. "I never thought saying goodbye to you would be so hard..." He gulps, as if trying to choke away a lump in his throat.

"Hey...it's going to be alright..." I stroke his face with my hand. "You'll see me tomorrow..." I whisper back to him, careful to stay quiet in case someone catches me here. "Stay with me...Come back to the city with me", he says suddenly, gripping my hands. At first I think he's joking, but I know he's completely serious.

"...You know I can't do that..." I look down at our hands, not knowing where else to look, not wanting to look him in the eyes in case looking at his face makes me change my mind. "...My Grandfather is waiting for me – they're expecting me..."

"Please, Juliette..."

"I'm sorry..." I answer, barely audible. "No matter how much I might want to, if I left here and came with you know, they'd catch us, and I'd be forbidden from seeing you again...I'd be forbidden from coming to see you and the boys...I have to stay here...for now, anyway..."

"...I understand..." He says after a long pause.

"I'm sorry, Enjolras..." I touch his face, lifting it so he's looking at me again. "...You still love me, don't you?" I ask, slightly worried.

"Juliette..." He smiles, letting out a small laugh. He looks away. "I can't believe you even have to ask that..." He looks back at me, looking deep into my eyes, gripping my hands tightly. "I will never stop loving you, and don't you ever doubt that, okay?" He pulls me to him, wrapping his arms around me, placing his chin on my head, my head against his chest, stroking my hair with his hand. "I love you more than life itself..." We stand there for a second, wrapped in this embrace. "You better go. I don't want your Grandfather coming to find you...that wouldn't be good for either of us. Because I would very much like to keep you around", he smiles. I stand on my toes and reach up to kiss him. I can feel him smiling against the kiss. "Go..." He says.

"One more..." I kiss him again.

"Now go...your dinner will be getting cold", he turns me around, steering me by my shoulders to face the gate, pushing me toward it as he opens it with one hand. As I walk through the gate, Enjolras hits my backside with his hand.

"Hey!" I turn around and gasp, smirking as I do it.

"Keep going!" He smirks back. "I'll watch until you get to the door". I run up the driveway to the house, finally reaching the doorway. I stop outside it and turn away to wave to Enjolras while trying to catch my breath before walking into the house. I take a breath, and then open the front door.

"Miss! Just on time!" Maggie rushes towards me before I'm fully inside the entrance hall. "They're just sitting down to dinner! Let me take your shawl and your purse!" She hurriedly takes them from me, ushering me quickly towards the dining room.

"Do I look okay?" I whisper.

"Absolutely fine! A little flushed, but fine!" She replies hastily. She pushes me into the dining room, giving a quick curtsey to my Grandfather and Aunt before leaving the room as quickly as she'd come in, leaving me alone with my relatives.

"So nice of you to join us, Juliette!" My Grandfather smiles sarcastically.

"Have you been waiting long, Grandfather?" I ask, trying not to give off an air of secrecy.

"Not long at all", Aunt smiles, gesturing for me to sit down. The servants enter with the starter course, placing it in front of us. Grandfather says a prayer of blessing over the food, and then we start to eat in silence, the ticking of the large clock being the only noise besides the clanging of spoons against the dishes.

"So how was your day, dear?" Aunt breaks the silence.

"Good, thank you. I went for a walk. How was yours?" I reply.

"Lovely, thank you", Aunt smiles.

"Grandfather, how was yours?" I try to include him the conversation in an attempt to deflect attention from myself. If I can just get him talking about himself, then we'll be fine.

"Pleasing", he answers. There's silence again. "You've been at the house so rarely that I have not had an adequate opportunity to inform you. The day after tomorrow we are having a reception –"

"A reception?" I raise my eyebrow.

"Like we used to have. The dancing, the music, the banquet. Your Aunt has picked a dress for you. Maggie shall help you try it on later. I'm sure you will find it to your liking. You will attend the ball".

"I'm not sure if I can –"

"Are you failing to hear me properly?" He asks harshly. "What else could you possibly have on? What other engagement could you possibly have?" He raises his eyebrow at me like I had done to him.

"None, Grandfather..."

"Then you will attend. You may of course invite some friends –"

"I can?" I perk up, sitting up in my seat.

"You can. Just let me know numbers beforehand so we're prepared". Maggie and the other servants enter the room again to clear our plates.

"May I invite Marius?" I ask with intention. Everyone turns to look at Grandfather. There is a long pause as he looks at me, a harsh look in his eyes. He doesn't respond with words. "I mean, he is my brother, after all. You can't keep us apart – it wouldn't be right. So...may I invite him?" There's another pause.

"If you feel so strongly about it, then...you may..."

"Thank you, Grandfather!" I quickly answer excitedly, unable to hide my excitement.

"But you will keep him away from me. I do not want to discuss matters with him in front of our guests", Grandfather states. I nod. Maggie reaches in front of me to lift my plate. "You will also bring a date. Your suitor will do". Maggie almost drops the plate upon hearing this sentence, catching it quickly with her other hand. She freezes.

"My suitor?" I gulp, my eyes wide.

"Your suitor!" He enunciates. "The young man who walked you home tonight, and last night. You seemed rather...friendly. At first I was disappointed it was not Courfeyrac – you must also invite him. I would like to catch up with the old boy. But – this new one – I wish to meet him".

"You what?"

"To discover if he is worthy. You will bring him to reception. And we shall soon see if he passes our test!"