Chapter Eighty-Two

The first weeks of my children's lives leave behind the signs of a novice learning her way through motherhood. Gavroche makes good on his promise, and is as gentle, helpful and protective of his new adopted siblings as I've ever seen him in anything. Courfeyrac waits on me hand and foot, not allowing me to lift a finger as I recover from the unexpected double birth. But I don't rest for long. I wrap myself up in taking care of my babies, taking care of Gavroche, taking care of Courfeyrac, and taking care of a deteriorating Valjean. It's as if he was staying strong and healthy for my sake, seeing me through my pregnancy, because as soon as the lives of my children began, his own health began to fail, and his life started to fail before my very eyes.

"Have you thought of any names yet?" Valjean asks as I finish getting ready for Marius and Cosette's wedding.

"I keep thinking I have...and then I change my mind", I smile. "It's such an important decision. These are the names they'll have for the rest of their lives. I don't feel equipped to make such a decision", I laugh.

"Well, you're their Mother. You'll have plenty more decisions to make, and many more important than this one", he grins. "You make this one, and you'll be set for the rest of them".

"I value your wisdom", I reply, genuinely. "Do you have any suggestions?"

"I'm not sure about your boy, but your daughter", he responds, a small smile on his lips, "Arielle".

"Arielle", I say it aloud. "Arielle. I like it", I nod. "How did you think of that one?"

"Arielle means 'lion of God'. Your daughter is certainly a gift from God, and lions – lions symbolise strength, courage, and power", he explains as if telling a fantastical story. "If she's anything like her parents, your daughter will have all of those qualities in abundance." Tears spring to my eyes.

"Then she'll be called Arielle..." I reply softly, taken aback. "Thank you".

"Now all you must do is think of the name for your son", he claps his hands together. "But first, you must go and celebrate your brother's nuptials".

"Are you sure you won't come with us?" I ask him as he helps me put on my coat.

"I wish I could, but it wouldn't do Cosette or I any good. Not today. Not on her wedding day", he replies thoughtfully. "Our parting has already happened – it wouldn't be wise for either of us to go through it again. You shall just have to tell me all about it when you return", he smiles warmly, squeezing my shoulder.

"Of course I will", I smile a bittersweet smile back – I wish he would come with us.

"And anyway, I'm more than content to stay and look after your little ones", he turns his attention to the makeshift bassinette that Courfeyrac had made for the babies. The two of them lie there, dozing. They look so beautiful. Each morning, I still struggle to fathom that these little people belong to me, that something as beautiful as this could be gifted to me. "Sitting in my chair, holding the two of them close, brings me a greater joy than I've known in a long time", he says excitedly as he weakly lowers himself into his chair. I rush toward him without thinking, taking his arm to help him. "You all do", he looks at me as I lower him into the chair. I choke back a sob. Watching the strength fade from his body is hard and hurtful to watch. Valjean has played a vital role in my own life over the last year – a surrogate Father to me, and now a Grandfather figure to my children. I can see why Cosette loved him so, and I feel almost guilty for being here with him instead of her. Even though my babies are born, and I've completed the task that I came here to see through, I feel I must stay to look after Valjean for as long as it takes. He's done so much for me that I want to return the kindness. He holds out his arms, and I lift my sleeping children from their bassinette, gently transferring them into the loving arms of the man I will always refer to as their Grandfather. The look of love in his eyes as he gazes at my children in the light of his precious candlesticks melts my heart, and I know that my children are in the safest of hands. Courfeyrac and Gavroche come racing down the stairs, finally dressed and ready for my brother's wedding.

"We ready to go?" Courfeyrac asks, face flushed from rushing to get ready. I nod.

"We'll be home as soon as we can", I kiss Valjean's cheek. I walk toward Courfeyrac who opens the front door.

"Juliette", Valjean's voice makes me spin back around to face him. "You look beautiful", he speaks sincerely.

"Thank you", I nod. I turn to face the door, but before stepping out of the door, I turn back to look at Valjean. "Monsieur, I've decided on a name for my son".

"You have?" He gasps with anticipation.

"I have", I nod, pausing. "He will be called Jean". Now it's Valjean's turn to well up with happy tears. He laughs gently, and then turns to look at the sleeping babies in his arms.

"Arielle and Jean...who'd have thought?" He whispers.