Chapter Twenty

"I think we need to get you to bed!" Courfeyrac says, scooping a sleepy Gavroche up into his arms. After hours of excited talking and planning, like most of us, Gavroche was tired out.

"Where is he going to stay?" I ask, genuinely concerned and intrigued as to where this little street urchin lays his head at night.

"We take it in turns..." Courfeyrac answers in hushed tones as Gavroche's sleepy head falls to rest on his shoulder. "Tonight, he'll stay with me", Courf smiles.

"He's lucky to have you to take care of him, Courf", I say, gently stroking his arm. "I'll see you tomorrow". I plant a light kiss on Courfeyrac's cheek before he carefully heads down the stairs, trying not to wake the sleeping Gavroche. I smile at the image as I watch them disappear down the stairs. Once they've gone, I turn back to the table, lifting my shawl, bag and bonnet from the chair in front of me as I start to prepare myself to go home.

"And who's going to take care of you, Miss?" A familiar voice addresses me amidst the chatter of the rest of the boys. I look up to see Enjolras, who now stands beside me.

"Uh...me" I answer.

"Uh...no" He shakes his head.

"Ah, no-one need worry about me. I have a place to stay", I inform him as I wrap my shawl around my shoulders. Enjolras strides over to a window ledge and picks up his burgundy jacket. "Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

"I'm taking you home", he says as he slips his jacket on.

"You're what?"

"I can't have you walking home alone at this time of night –"

"I think I'll be alright –" I politely protest.

"It's not safe for a woman –" He continues.

"I can take care of myself –" I assure him.

"I mean, anything could happen –"

"I've done it before, I'll be –"

"Will you just let me walk you home?!" He exclaims, frustrated.

"Well if you're going to kick up a fuss about it –" I raise my voice a little.

"I'm not kicking up a fuss!" He raises his voice back.

"Then fine!" I shout back, folding my arms as Enjolras looks ready to shout back. But then it registers on his face that he's processed the words I've just said.

"...What?" He asks in disbelief and confusion.

"I guess you can walk me home...if you really want..." I answer, a small smile escaping as I do. His smile widens into one of surprise and elation, which he then tries to cover and hide from the rest of the boys.

"Well...I guess we better go then..." He tries to play it cool, but is doing a terrible job of it, and this causes a flutter in my own stomach at the thought of being alone with Enjolras. "Goodnight, boys!" He raises a hand to wave to the room and places another on my lower back, gently ushering me towards the stairs. A wave of goodbyes floods back at him.

"Goodnight", I wave at them as I head for the stairs.

"Goodnight, Juliette!" They say in unison. Enjolras and I start making our way down the stairs when the sound of Grantaire's voice stops us.