Chapter Thirty-Six

"A ball?" Grantaire raises his eyebrows, unimpressed. "Are you having a laugh?"

"Completely serious", I reply. "My Grandfather is hosting a formal reception, and I'm allowed to bring you guys as my guests", I announce excitedly.

"Formal reception? As in like the kind he used to have?" Courfeyrac asks, a smile forming on his face at the memory of when he and I used to go to them together as children.

"Exactly like that!" I answer, just as excitedly. The boys break into chatter at the thought of it, and the air almost feels as if, for a brief second, the pressure of their revolutionary plans is lifted from their shoulders at the prospect of an evening of pure and unadulterated enjoyment.

"And Grandfather is allowing this?" Marius' voice rings from the back of the room, the weight of his question silencing the chatter and noise surrounding him.

"Yes...he is", I sincerely reply. Marius doesn't say anything. "And he wants you to be there..."

"He does?" Marius looks at me, at serious expression on his face.

"He knows you're going to be there...he knows you're all going to be there...I mean, only if you want to –"

"Of course we want to, don't we, boys?" Courfeyrac tries to rally the troops, with most of them responding positively.

"Sure, fine, whatever..." Grantaire reluctantly replies. "There'll be alcohol at this thing, right? Fancy, rich people's alcohol – I wouldn't miss it for the world!" I narrow my eyebrows at him.

"Marius?" I look at him, ignoring Grantaire. "You in?" He doesn't respond, but holds my gaze from his seat at the other side of the room. There's a deadly silence. "Marius...please...for me..."

"Fine...I'll do it for you, but not for him", he finally replies. I immediately rush towards where he's sat and hug him. "If you think I'm doing it for him, you're wrong". I keep hugging him. "Okay, Jules, you can let go of me now".

"Sorry", I laugh lightly, releasing him from my grip. "So you'll all come, yes?" I look around the room.

"Yes", they all chime back.

"And Grantaire...I've invited Madame Houcheloup. Will you be her escort, please?" I bat my eyelids sweetly.

"Will I be her WHAT?!" He pulls a disgusted expression.

"There'll be a bottle of beer in it for you", I try to tempt him in a song-like manner. "I'll even dance with you if it changes your mind!"

"Make it two bottles and we have a deal", he relents.

"Done!" I shake his hand before going back to stand beside Enjolras.

"Marius...", I add.

"Yes?" He asks wearily.

"I want you to bring Eponine with you tonight..." I plead with him with my eyes, my voice rather small compared to before. "I want you to escort her...please, if you would. It would mean a lot to me if you did..." Marius just nods at me. "Thank you..." I feel relieved. "Oh...and boys...there's one more thing...Grandfather can't know who you really are..."

I stayed with the boys for another couple of hours before leaving them to return home and prepare for the evening's events. Enjolras had walked me to my horse, and I had left Courfeyrac in charge of making sure that the boys were ready and presentable, and that neither Marius or Enjolras tried to change their mind and run away last minute. Marius was also going to ask Eponine and give her the dress that I had left for her, and Grantaire was going to ask Madame Houcheloup to accompany him. I had also left them planning their cover stories for tonight after strictly telling them that under no circumstances should my Grandfather, my Aunt, or any of tonight's guests know who they really are. They must not make it known that they are the revolutionaries who have been planning to overthrow the government. If anyone was to recognise them, they were under strict instruction to lie and to provide a solid alibi. Marius would have to pretend he didn't know them before tonight. Enjolras would have to pretend he didn't already know Marius. Gavroche was going to pretend to be Courfeyrac's younger brother. Grantaire was going to tell people he was Enjolras' cousin who was visiting him in Paris. Every single one of the boys had a story and an excuse as to why they were there. Tonight was going to be a test – of how well we can communicate, of how well we can keep each other's backs, and how well we can work as a team. I didn't want to leave them at the Café Musain. A knot was starting to form in my stomach with nerves about tonight – what if something went wrong? But Enjolras had assured me it wouldn't, and with Courfeyrac in charge, I knew tonight was in safe hands. I rode Max home as fast as I could, trying to put the troubling thoughts concerning tonight out of my head. Max and I get through the gates and one of our farm hands greets me, offering to settle Max in the stables for me. I climb off Max, giving him a grateful stroke, my hand shaking slightly with nerves.

"I guess this is it, Max. I'll see you on the other side..." I murmur quietly.

"Did you say something, Miss?" The farm hand asks me as he goes to lead Max away.

"I was just saying goodbye to Max", I smile a fake smile. "Thank you", I say, and then turn to face the house. I take a deep breath in an attempt to steady my nerves and I put on my best smile and brave face before walking towards the house.

Maggie greets me immediately at the door in an excited rush.

"I saw you through the window coming down the lawn!" She gushes. "I have you dress laid out in your room! Shall we go and start getting you ready, Juliette?"

"Of course, Maggie", I nod, trying to smile as much as she is. I take her arm, like friends do, and walk up the stairs toward my room.

"So...uh..." She takes a quick look around to see if anyone is around to listen, and she sees that the coast is clear and so carries on. "Did you ask them? Are they all going to come?"

"Yes..." I breathe deeply. "Yes they are".

"Even Monsieur Marius?" She asks wide-eyed.

"Even Marius", I nod, trying not to sound worried.

"Oh, I knew he'd come around to the idea. I knew he wouldn't be able to say no to you", she grins.

"Well...thank you, Maggie", I squeeze her hand. "I just hope I haven't made a terrible mistake..."